Should Northern Ireland remain part of UK?

Should Northern Ireland remain part of UK?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should Northern Ireland remain part of UK?

• Yes
    • No

Well quite and the stars and stripes represents the first 13 surahs of the quran and the 51 wives of Noah.

The red diagonals are the cross of St Patrick. The clue is in the word "cross" in case you thought one diagonal represented one thing and the other another.

Stick to whatever it is that you do, British heraldic history is not your forte.

We can agree without resorting to insults. I was taught differently from you, and continue in the belief that there are two red diagonal emblems represented. Why did you have to bring in old glory. It has nothing to do with the thread, unless you just want to stir up a little more anti yank garbage. You have no idea what my forte is, I have several of them.

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 19:40 ----------

Well quite and the stars and stripes represents the first 13 surahs of the quran and the 51 wives of Noah.

The red diagonals are the cross of St Patrick. The clue is in the word "cross" in case you thought one diagonal represented one thing and the other another.

Stick to whatever it is that you do, British heraldic history is not your forte.

Is Britain the 51st wife?

We can agree without resorting to insults. I was taught differently from you, and continue in the belief that there are two red diagonal emblems represented. Why did you have to bring in old glory. It has nothing to do with the thread, unless you just want to stir up a little more anti yank garbage. You have no idea what my forte is, I have several of them.

Insult my flag, I'll insult yours.

You think because your were "taught differently" ie know jack about what you're spouting off about you get to tell me your opinion on my flag is valid, but I need to keep the old quiet about your rebel banner?

Old glory? Maybe back when it was something to do with us. Now the stars represent the Mexican drug cartels that run you it's a little less glorious.

You think because your were "taught differently" ie know jack about what you're spouting off about you get to tell me your opinion on my flag is valid, but I need to keep the old quiet about your rebel banner?

Old glory? Maybe back when it was something to do with us. Now the stars represent the Mexican drug cartels that run you it's a little less glorious.

I served under the flag you say I'm insulting for 18 years in the Royal Navy. As it happens I decided to check about the Union flag and found I was mistaken. I was about to apologize for it. But your nastiness to any one you post to prevents me from having anything more to do with you. You're not worth my spit.

You really do get your knickers in a twist sometimes dont ya Andy?

Only recently you suggested that I critique "my own government" instead of my commenting on the House of Lords

I notice you got your two pennies in when gun control in the US was being discussed but dont like anyone overseas commenting on things pertaining to the UK. What is it with you anyway? Just a one way street (your way) when it comes to a discussion ?

I suggest you spend more time in the garden with your turnips or tulips or whatever and mellow out a little cos you are beginning to sound more and more like some cranky matron going through the change of life :D

The trouble wouldn't end if Northern Ireland left the UK to join the Republic of Ireland, the so called loyalists would then dramatically intensify their actions. I'd be surprised if there were many Republic of Ireland's politicians there were in favour of Northern Ireland joining them, as they'll bring an immense amount of new problems with them.

I think that would happen, why of why couldn't Belfast Council have left the flag as it was, they've just caused trouble imo

the thing is cressida that flags have a far more significant meaning in northern ireland than they do in the rest of the uk or in the republic of ireland for that matter.

by flying the flag for 365 days over belfast city hall the 'loyalist' community was making an ongoing triumphant statement to the nationalist community along the lines of 'you may have lived in this country far longer than us but we are top dog & here's the flag to prove it'.

as it happens the 'loyalists' are now in the minority in belfast & are only a majority in antrim & down out of the six northern ireland counties. why should the majority have to put up with this ongoing taunt when it is now their decision? other councils have removed the flag permanently so belfast have actually given a concession to let it fly the same as all other uk cities.

nationalists have made a number of concessions to the 'loyalist' community over the years but i cannot think of a single concession given by 'loyalists' that wasn't forced out of them by the british government.

the people who are rioting are that thick that they appear totally unaware of the impression their actions are having in the rest of the uk. for a group of people who go on & on about how british they are they seem oblivious to how completely non british their actions appear to everyone else.

I don't recall any fuss over the flag flying over the town hall at all, the status quo would have been safer, antipathy has been raised and things have elscalated - maybe a referendum is needed over being part of the UK. but the action by Belfast Council has raked up bad feeling 'let sleeping dogs lie' would have been a better option

cressida,whilst i personally agree with you about' letting sleeping dogs lie' that's because i like a quiet life probably the same as most people.

fortunately for me i haven't had to put up with the ongoing nonsense that has been life in northern ireland for a substantial minority of the population. when the unionists had virtually unlimited power, a large part of which had been obtained by gerrymandering electoral boundaries, they never failed to take advantage. it must be extremely hard now that the situation has altered not to make the point to the opposition that they are no longer 'calling the shots'.

also the so called 'loyalists' had no need to react in the manner they did, did they?

are people to be prevented from making a perfectly reasonable democratic decision designed to make life more acceptable to the majority by the threat of mob violence every time they disagree with a decision?

if the mob gets it's way then the 'loyalists' will go back to dominating northern ireland politics by mob rule rather than the ballot box.

in a few years time they may well have to accept a few decisions a bit more important than the colour of a flag. maybe now is a good time to get it across to them that mob rule is unacceptable.

Archived