Would you go a week without shopping online

Does anyone think that one idea to save the High Street would be to have a week where no one shops online, and can only buy from local shops, or shops in town, and give retailers a chance?

I don't think would make much of a difference tbh, and the problem is nowadays most people are bone idle and can't be bothered + it's normally abit cheaper online and in times when money is of short supply for most, it's the cheaper option to be the winner....

we certainly don't shop on line even once a month probably more like once every three month and use our local shops at least once a day.

The way I see it is the town centres have been doomed for at least 30 years. If both adults in a home work until 5 6 or even 7 o'clock in the evening including weekends the town centre becomes completely out of the question, This and the rising parking chargers and reducing parking areas.

I remember being a child and my parents refusing to go to town due to paring cost it was a big treat to us. the rise of shopping centres and the internet only spells the doom of 9 to 5 city centres.

I have not been to the city centre during the day for over 10 years nor do I plan to unless parking becomes more available and free of charge and the shops open late. A big shame considering some of my best memories are of light night shopping in the centre with the crisp winters air and the Christmas lights on.

I don't think would make much of a difference tbh, and the problem is nowadays most people are bone idle and can't be bothered + it's normally abit cheaper online and in times when money is of short supply for most, it's the cheaper option to be the winner....

Nothing to do with bone idleness, its convenience & as you say cheaper, I sometimes shop online for food if cannot get out in my mobility scooter. If not the wife and son do it, as I cannot carry shopping, it is more convenient, plus as said you don't have to put up with rude ignorant staff.

We went in Dixons a few years ago, and went to buy a camera, we stood waiting for ages while the lass filed her nails. Fed up we left, just as we were leaving a manager asked if he could help, I said you could have 15 minutes ago but I couldn't get her to stop filing her nails.

I am a regular shopper with Amazon, only ever used E Bay once

...and give retailers a chance?

Whoa, whoa, I don't think you've quite grasped how things work in retail.

You (the retailer) provides a service that the customer wants at a price they are willing to pay.

If any of those criteria are not met, they will go elsewhere.

No one is obliged to support any retailer because they deserve a "chance". It's a competitive world out there. If a retailer gets complacent, fails to keep up, they lose out.

You probably think that's too harsh. I think you would be happier with the state shops they had in the the old USSR, where the choice was "take it or leave it". Long queues for bread and Levi jeans trading on the black market.

If we had a special week, where the council gave free parking, and vat was reduced for said week would it encourage you to shop in the city centre?

---------- Post added 19-01-2013 at 16:36 ----------

You (the retailer) provides a service that the customer wants at a price they are willing to pay.

No one is obliged to support any retailer because they deserve a "chance". It's a competitive world out there. If a retailer gets complacent, fails to keep up, they lose out.

You probably think that's too harsh. I think you would be happier with the state shops they had in the the old USSR, where the choice was "take it or leave it". Long queues for bread and Levi jeans trading on the black market.

What i hated about HMV was that they had cheaper prices online. I think they shot themselves in the foot with that one

100% agree with this post !!

i already go a week, 2 weeks a month without buying online lol, then again i must go the same with shopping in the high st so.......

however, my last 3 purchases have been online, 2 vinyl records and 1 cd, and 1 of the records and the cd were second hand

Archived