Would you go a week without shopping online

People panic about the highstreet every few decades. First mail order, then telephone order, now online order.

None of which have killed the high street.

a lot of large companies have been killed from the high street these days tho, only be charity shops, cafes and maybe clothes shops left, so not dead but nott hat good either lol

Does anyone think that one idea to save the High Street would be to have a week where no one shops online, and can only buy from local shops, or shops in town, and give retailers a chance?

Its not just the internet, its the price of parking, the apperance of the city centres and the conveniance of the shopping mall,im afraid the town centres are on the way out as far as shopping goes.

Its not just the internet, its the price of parking, the apperance of the city centres and the conveniance of the shopping mall,im afraid the town centres are on the way out as far as shopping goes.

There are very few out of town malls with free parking like Meadowhall - and no more are planned anywhere in the country. Malls in city centres like the St Davids Centre in Cardiff or Cabot Centre in Bristol are very much the flavour.

I remember when Blockbuster first appeared - big glossy stores open late, dozens of copies of the latest films.

They put many smaller independents out of business but I didn't see anyone making the effort to save them.

Now the shoe is on the other foot.

There are very few out of town malls with free parking like Meadowhall - and no more are planned anywhere in the country. Malls in city centres like the St Davids Centre in Cardiff or Cabot Centre in Bristol are very much the flavour.

Yep, Liverpool One is testament to that.

I shop on line because there are times when I can't get out and about. I have never actually done a food shop online, my daughter takes me to the supermarket once a week and my husband goes to our local shops to buy fresh meat, fruit and veg etc daily.

The only time I go into the City Centre now is to meet friends every 3 or 4 weeks for coffee, and I look around at the state of the place and it is disgusting, there are people standing around spitting, swearing and smoking. Most of them smell horrible and look threatening. The shops themselves are not very inviting either, there are mainly pound shops and charity shops.

Now Meadowhall is a different matter, I go there regularly, it is clean, there is plenty of seating, free parking and plenty of clean public toilets. There is a good variety of shops, you can buy almost anything you want. Plenty of nice places to eat or just have a drink.

If I do want to visit a City Centre I go to Leeds, it is everything that Sheffield isn't. I think the people in our Town Hall should go and have a look around there. It is a pleasure to go there.

I think there are many people like me who shop online and locally and I don't think online shopping is the main problem for the retailers like HMV, I have gone in the Meadowhall one many times and there have been more staff than customers and even then finding one to ask as question to is very hard as soon as you approach they disappear of begin to look busy. I don't know the answer to the problem but I don't think blaming the internet is the thing to do either.

try buying a large electrical item from a large retail outlet,and picking it up the same day to install and use the same day.

You've got no chance,they have to deliver it to your house,charge you the delivery fee and more than likely you have to wait around a week-have a day off work and wait in without knowing what time its coming.

Its been like this for years.

This is bad customer service.

you can easily find one elsewhere on-line,delivered for free if you dont need it instantly,or you can find a second hand one instantly if your desperate.

All these large retailers who are closing down have had the chance to adapt to modern standards,they chose not to as it was easier to make a fast buck and then close their doors when it gets tough.:loopy:

Its the minimal wage employee's who you have to feel sorry for:(

Archived