Would you go a week without shopping online

I think it depends on what people are buying. I like to have a look at clothes, try on shoes and boots, and browse in bookshops. If I want home furnishings I like to check the quality. I usually go into town a couple of times a week, I like having a look in shops like John Lewis, TKMaxx and Atkinsons as well as M and S. I visit the Central Library and meet friends for coffee or lunch. Being retired is brilliant!

However, once I've looked, there are some items I would buy on line, mainly because of the hassle of getting them home on public transport. ;)

I do like bits of Leeds, particularly the Victorian Quarter, and Manchester around St Ann's Square. But we have some nice bits here too like the Winter and Peace Gardens and the Millennium Galleries. I prefer town to Meadowhall. I go to Meadowhall purely to visit shops that are not in town. But I don't enjoy walking round it.

Recently, I have tried to buy several things in our local stores (i.e. within 150 kms).

E.g. a cable to link my ASUS tablet to the TV (HDMI to Micro HDMI)

Keyboard dock for that tablet

A part for my Canon DSLR camera

"Oh, it's not worth our stocking those. Buy them online!"

So I've bought online, and our local shops lost trade.

Worst was, after two weeks of seeking the keyboard, the online store who said they had it in stock sent a note to say "none left" and ASUS aren't making any more. Still, it saves me $200!

There are very few out of town malls with free parking like Meadowhall - and no more are planned anywhere in the country. Malls in city centres like the St Davids Centre in Cardiff or Cabot Centre in Bristol are very much the flavour.

Bluewater the largest in the country is free parking.:)

Bluewater the largest in the country is free parking.:)

Yes I know - all the out of town malls do.

I was making the point that there aren't many out of town malls in the country - there are no more out of town malls planned anywhere - and the trend is now to city centre malls (where parking is not free).

Archived