When did 'of' take over from 'have'?

The word ME seems to have dissapeared replaced by MA ma ipod ma phone etcetera

This is not true. ME now replaces MY, as in "Me mum says..."

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 12:53 ----------

Surely its not hard to figure out that it is HAVE not OF, just by thinking a little bit. "I should of gone to the shop" (but didn't)

"I have gone to the shop" - You never hear them say they 'of' done something do you?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

People writing "should of" when they mean "should have" seriously does my flipping head in! :rant: another thing that winds me up is people writing "your" when they mean "you're".

I know I shouldn't be so pedantic but when I was getting 20 out of 20 on spelling tests nearly 30 years ago in Junior School, bad spelling and grammar really winds me up.

Amazed at the number of articles, posts etc where people use the word 'of' in place of 'have', eg "we should of got three points today". Is it a new slang thing or do people just simply not know?. It's not a dig, I might just be behind the times!.

appened bart fotty yeers agu !!!,

depending where you come from

one thing that does annoy me is when people put an 'R' in 'off' and pronounce it 'orf'

like Tim Wannacot from bargain hunt,this gets turned OFF ,or ORF ,straight away when he's on it::gag:

If only thing we had to be concerned about was spelling on the forum, it might be a much happier world.

I think you have completely missed the point, It has nothing to do with spelling, it is substituting a word for an incorrect word, and as I clearly said it was not meant to be a dig, merely an obsevation.

Archived