Is rotherham going the same way as doncaster

Wath, Mexborugh, Doncaster, Rotherham, Conisburgh, Swinton, etc....you go there and look at the people and then go to the south and tell me they aren't 1000 years behind. The gap is widening and it's scary.

Damn right..I visit the south regularly and it pains me to say that they are well ahead, in terms of business, social activity ct. the only reason any of hem would move up north would be for cheaper housing or the friendly northern charm. Saying that though I think the southerners are as friendly and if my family and friends was down south I'd prefer to be there.

The place is beat up, I firmly believe it's one of the most neglected places in the country. I see no hope for the area.

Rotherham and Sheffields plight is down to a combination of historic misuse by industrialists and a lack of imagination by successive councils in more recent times.

Wath, Mexborugh, Doncaster, Rotherham, Conisburgh, Swinton, etc....you go there and look at the people and then go to the south and tell me they aren't 1000 years behind. The gap is widening and it's scary.

I think we have to include Sheffield in there as well unless i work in a different Sheffield to the one i see everyday.I agree the south is totally different,i visit the south a couple of times every year and im always dissapointed when i get back to south yorkshire.I dont think you can change people in the north though,they still go whippetting and ferreting round here where i live,i dont know what southerners would make of that.

'Tell em what their gerrin' is I believe the ones in charge view of the locals.

I worked for RMBC for a while in the 90s, and that's just how it seemed.:roll: I doubt much has changed.

Donny & Rotherham have very different councils, both had scandals in the last decade, and a lot of Doncaster people stopped voting for the same old, same old. Not so Rotherham, they always seem to forgive and forget, so they get what they deserve.

We lived in Doncaster for over 20 years, and in Rotherham for 13 before finally moving here. There are some lovely bits in both towns, there are also some deeply entrenched parochial attitudes. Sheffield is different for lots of reasons including its two universities and because it wasn't nearly as dependent on coal.

And, I don't recall anything of this nature here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2002/mar/13/uknews

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/councillor-used-poverty-fund-to-hire-prostitutes-1188270.html

I think we have to include Sheffield in there as well unless i work in a different Sheffield to the one i see everyday.I agree the south is totally different,i visit the south a couple of times every year and im always dissapointed when i get back to south yorkshire.I dont think you can change people in the north though,they still go whippetting and ferreting round here where i live,i dont know what southerners would make of that.

And down south they use packs of dogs to tear apart fox's, so where is the difference their ?

And down south they use packs of dogs to tear apart fox's, so where is the difference their ?

They do fox hunting here as well,my mate rides on the local hunts.I wasn,t saying there is anything wrong with whippeting its just something thats died out in most of the country.

Just look at where top class footballers want to be.

Other than Manchester or london it would be very difficult to attract a ronaldo or messi.

Yes you do get small pockets of great places in the north but in general all the old pit towns in my opinion have no future. I think the government simply wants to invest in strategic major cities....London,Exeter,Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds ect. The likes of donni and Rotherham are not in the radar.

Archived