Mechanic Opinion

I've just be looking up information on it it looks like the fan belt goes around the camshaft pulley in front of the cam belt, what will have happened is the water pump will be frozen and the fan belt will have come off its pulley and may have gone into the cam belt and jammed it up,the rubber smell will have been the fan belt spinning on the solid water pump pulley,I know I keep banging on about it but any attempt to start it or bump it will course a lot of damage to the engine it must be thawed out full then the cam belt must be checked for alignment before any attempt to start it.

Yes them pictures look like shredded belts.

i hope you have luck and that it was just slipping around you water pump pulley and that was the burning smell,but as said by shogun see if the alignment is ok

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 14:41 ----------

stick an electric fan to blow hot hair around it to thaw if you can

Chances are it's probably popped a core plug, so when it thaws out it'll dump all of the coolant out.

Thats if you're lucky anyway, it could have also wrecked the head, blown the head gasket and generally completely ruined the engine.

You said you recently got it from a dealer?

Take it straight back and demand all of your money back, they should have checked it had anti-freeze in before selling it.

Selling a car in winter without even checking the anti-freeze is pure negligence.

This will only be the start of your problems if you decide to keep it.

Chances are it's probably popped a core plug, so when it thaws out it'll dump all of the coolant out.

Thats if you're lucky anyway, it could have also wrecked the head, blown the head gasket and generally completely ruined the engine.

You said you recently got it from a dealer?

Take it straight back and demand all of your money back, they should have checked it had anti-freeze in before selling it.

Selling a car in winter without even checking the anti-freeze is pure negligence.

This will only be the start of your problems if you decide to keep it.

Core plugs might pop out if it was frozen solid but it depends if he ran the engine for a wile before the head went it would have to have been over heated for the head or gasket to go,I agree with the negligence bit though the sellers should have done the antifreeze before they sold it it should have been part of the pre-delivery checks for sure.

Just to say that from what you have said I'd agree entirely with Shogun. It's a frozen waterpump and the smoke is from the belt rubbing as it turns. If it's frozen all the way you could have cracked the block or popped core plugs.

The main thing is to prevent further damage - I'd call the seller now, tell them what's happened - tell them you will hold them liable and suggest that they may want to recover the vehicle now to somewhere warm to stop it freezing up further.

The only way to fix this really is to get it warm again - you can do this outside if you can screen off the engine bay with canvas and then use an electric heater, but it's not an easy thing to do. You really need a heated garage.

Archived