Witness expenses

Hoping some of you can help. I'm due in court to be a witness in a few weeks time. The courts have sent me an expenses claim form. I don't own a smart shirt and tie. Would I be able to claim for them? If not would they accept me turning up in a "going out shirt"?

as a witness it doesnt matter what you wear as long as its not disrespectful, my daughter is also a witness in a few weeks for a mugging case and she has the same form for expenses, as i understand it you will be compensated for your time if you are working and if you have special travel needs to get to court, not for anything else including clothes etc

I had a bit of a battle at work when I had to have a day in court as a witness,so watch for this one. The court rang my employer to ask if I could have paid time off work. The company said yes, he is owed a days holiday so we will pay him. I had to get the union to sort that one out no way I was loosing a days holiday because the court didn't want to pay.

Hoping some of you can help. I'm due in court to be a witness in a few weeks time. The courts have sent me an expenses claim form. I don't own a smart shirt and tie. Would I be able to claim for them? If not would they accept me turning up in a "going out shirt"?

As long as you are dressed sensibly they won't give a flying hoot. Clean T-shirt, non scruffy jeans and a jersey will be more than acceptable. However, if you are appearing for the defence and it's important to them you might want to enquire if they can make shift to lend you a suit.

Archived