Car not starting

Best way to test a battery is when your engine is running, disconnect the earth lead if it still runs then your alternator is ok and it will be battery at fault, if it stops then its alternator remember a car only needs battery to start it.

Also this can be best way to possibly fry your ECU:rolleyes:

Best way to test a battery is when your engine is running, disconnect the earth lead if it still runs then your alternator is ok and it will be battery at fault, if it stops then its alternator remember a car only needs battery to start it.

I probably wouldn't do that.

Trying to get my head around it but I seem to remember that disconnecting an alternator whilst it's giving out charge will blow the alternator - I assume that disconnecting the negative from the battery will do similar.

Also, once a diesel has started - does it need any charge to run?

Trying to get my head around it but I seem to remember that disconnecting an alternator whilst it's giving out charge will blow the alternator - I assume that disconnecting the negative from the battery will do similar.

It doesn't blow nothing, done this a million times with no problems whatsoever !

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 18:27 ----------

And no it will run off of the alternator

Yes when it is running there is a solenoid that is kept open to allow fuel to get to the engine by electrickery.

What you could do is the following

Put key in ignition and turn it to the position where it would normally be when car is running.

Get a large insulated screwdriver and put it across the two terminals on the starter motor that the large wires go to, this should make the starter motor turn. If this works you need a new starter motor.

Its times like this you wish you paid the AA or RAC a few pounds per month for breakdown cover with "Home start" extra.

One of the countries best mechanics would have been round within a few hours and would be able to give you a real idea what the problem is.

Despite people having disconnected the battery 'millions' of times with the engine running - I wouldn't do it. Plenty of websites like this one advising you why.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_disconnect_battery.htm

To the OP - your shout whether you take someone's advice to disconnect the battery with the engine running - just Google it first though.

Archived