Drilled through a light cable in wall. Advice needed please

To be pedantic, ...... conduit protecting the cable, which should have prevented this!

cheaper? your not a sparks are you!

capping is there to protect the cable from the plasterer and to hopefully allow future replacement, never going to stop a drill but

Edited by gym_rat

Are you supposed to be drilling holes in the walls of rented accommodation?

Not advice this is it. Thanks

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 13:29 ----------

Mod please close this thread. I believe I have the answers I was looking for.

Many thanks

Nope, but the conduit should be earthed so the supply trips when the drill bit goes through....

no it shouldn`t, no it doesn`t and no it wouldn`t.

capping is singularly there to protect the cable during installation, nothing more.

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 14:48 ----------

Not advice this is it. Thanks

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 13:29 ----------

Mod please close this thread. I believe I have the answers I was looking for.

Many thanks

please don`t use choc block connectors, they are not designed for permanent use and can and do work loose over a period of time.

no it shouldn`t, no it doesn`t and no it wouldn`t.

capping is singularly there to protect the cable during installation, nothing more.

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 14:48 ----------

please don`t use choc block connectors, they are not designed for permanent use and can and do work loose over a period of time.

If the cable is sufficiently mechanically protected to prevent damage by drilling, nailing or screwing then no need to earth the conduit or capping. Or if the cable is installed in a safe zone. Otherwise, the capping or conduit must be earthed.....read your regs.

As for tripping the supply, yes it would, which is why armoured cable has the armour connected to earth, not just for a bit of mechanical strength.

If the cable is sufficiently mechanically protected to prevent damage by drilling, nailing or screwing then no need to earth the conduit or capping. Or if the cable is installed in a safe zone. Otherwise, the capping or conduit must be earthed.....read your regs.

As for tripping the supply, yes it would, which is why armoured cable has the armour connected to earth, not just for a bit of mechanical strength.

leave the sarcasm out pal.

you don`t earth capping, capping is not used to mechanically protect cable.