Car insurance for a 17 year old

By all means, buy her a mini, but know that it will get bumped dinged grazed and kerbed.

Better to get a cheaper car to get the damage stage of being a new driver done with, then buy the Mini.

It'll also give her a better appreciation of the mini to have driven something less nice to start with.

My opinion, your kid, your call.

Just go on gocompare / moneysupermarket / confused / comparethemarket and get a quote, it'll be an accurate quote as opposed to some random strangers guessing.

You'll want to put yourself on as a named driver. Don't be tempted to insure it in your name and put her on as a named driver, this is called "fronting" it's illegal, and when the insurance company find out (which they'll probably do just as you go to claim from them, they're experts at finding ways to wiggle out of coughing up) they'll void your policy and put a black mark against you bumping your premiums for years afterwards.

Oh god this is so confusing, if I put her on my insurance, if I can find someone to insure her is this illegal? I am the main driver and she would only use it when I don't need it. If it was her car I don't want to drive it but do I need to put myself on the insurance. Thank you for trying to help me, it is so confusing Thanks Di :)

If it's her car, it should be insured with her as the main driver, but adding yourself as a named driver may reduce the premium. Having her own policy will mean her premiums will be lower in future as she will accumulate a No Claims' Bonus (fingers crossed she doesn't have any mishaps in the first year).

Hi All

Our daughter is wanting a Mini car for when she passes her test. We have been told that the insurance will be extremely high as she will only be 17 years old.

I therefore tried to insure her for my car as a learner but they wouldn't do this due to the size of the engine 1.6 but as it is old I thought we could do this, 52 plate.

Has anyone insured their daughter for a mini and if so could you let me know how much it cost and who with please. She is so set on having a Mini and is learning in one so it would make sense to buy her one. We are only looking to buy one at around £5000 so really don't want the insurance to be OTT

Thanks Di :)

Cheapest insurance will be on a new car and fully comprehensive, but not a mini, Citroen C1, Volkswagen Fox are amongst the cheapest to insure.

Cheapest insurance will be on a new car and fully comprehensive, but not a mini, Citroen C1, Volkswagen Fox are amongst the cheapest to insure.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. Think we will get her a different car to start with. Does anyone know about a Corsa or a Polo not sure who makes them. Will look at the above as well Thanks Di :)

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. Think we will get her a different car to start with. Does anyone know about a Corsa or a Polo not sure who makes them. Will look at the above as well Thanks Di :)

Just found this for you and its worth a read.

Insurers love statistics. If car insurance firms could get statistics on drivers who own chickens, they'd be delighted. I wonder if such drivers would be safer on the roads?

More commonly, though, insurers collect statistics on such things as your age, occupation and type of car. As you well know. The price of the insurance depends on how high a risk statistics show you to be.

Usually, this works remarkably well for insurers. However, sometimes basing premiums purely on statistics can throw up little anomalies. One of those anomalies can lead to insurers making fully comprehensive insurance policies cheaper than third party, fire and theft!

Here' s a typical example of when that happens. You're a young, cocky driver with an old banger, and you like driving fast. It's just a cheap old car, so you insure it third party, fire and theft. Your insurer insures 10,000 others just like you.

Unsurprisingly, you have, between you, more crashes than the average driver. What's more, because of your speed and recklessness, you cause a great deal of damage to other people's vehicles, and cause many an injury. These claims typically cost thousands, with the odd million-pound claim thrown in for good measure.

Now, let's look at an alternative scenario. You're a young driver who takes out a loan to get a newer car, and this is a lot of money to you. The car is your baby, so you insure it fully comprehensive. Only the best cover for your boy/girl! Now, the last thing you want to do is damage it, especially after spending so much money on the insurance.

As a result, you drive more carefully. You have fewer accidents and the crashes aren't at such high speed. Unlike third party, fire and theft, your insurer has to pay for damage to your own vehicle, in addition to the other vehicle and for injuries to other people. However, because you've been driving more carefully and slowly, your crashes aren't so severe. You've barely dented the other person's car and you've caused no injuries, so your claim is relatively cheap.

These are both quite typical scenarios, so insurers look at these statistics and say: ‘Hmm, young drivers with third party, fire and theft policies cost us a bit more money than young drivers with comprehensive policies. Therefore, we'll charge an extra 10% to the first group.'

Corsa is Vauxhall. Polo and Fox are VW. Micra are Nissans.

Go to Autotrader to see what you get for your money - for £5k you'll get about a three year old Micra from a dealer or about a six year old Mini from trade dealers - and you can haggle on that.

Also, put details in an insurance comparison site for the car you're after and your daughter's details. Make sure that you tick the boxes saying that you don't want calls - and give a dodgy telephone number - something starting 01148 should do as they will try to phone. As others have said, having a grown up on a youngster's policy will likely bring the policy cost down.

In my experience the general rule for insuring 17yr olds is the smaller the engine the cheaper the premium. Adding yourself and your other half on as named drivers should reduce the premium too.

Even at 23 and with almost 6 years on my license, adding my mum to my policy knocks off about £200 per year.

Be warned though, at 17 insurance prices are normally about £1500 as a bare minimum.

Archived