Did your school ever close due to snow.

Yeah, we all ate dripping, smoked,life expectancy was shorter, we could laugh at Jim Davidson, look forward to Jimmy Saville on Thursdays and treat ourselves to a 'milky coffee' in The Golden Egg on Fargate, you could call a spade a spade in them days!

Cripes- what am i clearing the snow with, i thought it was a spade.

My school used to close if it snowed.

We used to get sent home from school then go to the local hills on the route home and it would be dark before I got in from messing about in the snow, no mobile phones so parents just presumed you would get back eventually, they did not hold it against the school and if a school mate did not have a house key they would stop over at yours till parents got in.

I am always astonished how fashion stops some children wearing what I would call suitable snow clothes to school, I cannot believe parents let them out like that, they must be freezing! I used to put a load of extra clothes and boots in my bag and shove my school shoes in my locker on the way out, all prepared for the fun on the way home!

Well in my days in the fourty,s and early fifty's and my kids days in the sixty,s they did not.

I watched this fascinating programme on Saturday evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q9d86/Winterwatch_1963_The_Big_Freeze/

So you're kids didn't have a day off school in January, February or March 1963?

I was talking to my uncle yesterday who worked on the buildings, he went seven weeks without work back in 1963 due to the bad weather.

I'm 29 - I can't remember my primary every closing. I was sent home from secondary due to the worsening snow once (buses were due to be pulled off so anyone not within walking distance/more than one bus was sent home).

I think also that 'back in the day' more teachers lived near to the school where they work, much less common now.

I cannot remember our school closing, but that could be my memory but no I don't think it did, I also remember doing cross country in deep snow god it was freezing. I'm sorry but H & S is daft now, the kids will be all playing out at home, putting themselves in the same position as if it school.

I also used to get up before I gone to bed, work 26 hours a day and looked forward to my birthday, it was the only day I didn't get beat. Kids these days got it so easy lol

I watched this fascinating programme on Saturday evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q9d86/Winterwatch_1963_The_Big_Freeze/

So you're kids didn't have a day off school in January, February or March 1963?

Mine not born until 1963 so not affected by school, but I was out of work from December 62 until March 63 that winter [building trade] .

Ha ha Beefface like that one!! You are right we wouldnt accept things today that we used to put up with. All huddled round the coal fire in one room, getting dressed under the bed sheets, ice on the inside of the windows and trudging across the yard to the outside loo in all weathers. The question was did your school ever shut because of the snow and all I was doing was answering the question.

Ha ha Beefface like that one!! You are right we wouldnt accept things today that we used to put up with. All huddled round the coal fire in one room, getting dressed under the bed sheets, ice on the inside of the windows and trudging across the yard to the outside loo in all weathers. The question was did your school ever shut because of the snow and all I was doing was answering the question.

I know, it's just that I can't get into work today and was having a 'bit 'o' sport' till me bacon was done!

i grew up in a mining village near barnsley in the sixties - only ever walked to school as our family didn't have a car - the only times our schools closed as far as i remember was when the boilers packed up although i do remember occasions when teachers didn't turn up due to the weather and we used to get any random teacher who'd happen to make it in (on a good day) or the headmaster (on a bad day)

Archived