Drop in child asthma. Vindication for smoking ban?

Big drop in number of child asthma cases following the smoking ban. Does this finally vindicate the smoking ban for public places? Has the end justified the means?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21067532

how do you know thats not just a coincidence?

I could make such claims for the result of introducing lead free petrol or the reduction of certain chemicals in a remote manufacturing plant in China.

It`s politics dressed up as science

The article itself states:

A shame you can't take it at face value. Or is it a case of sour grapes from die-hard (or die-soon) smokers?

Ex smoker, I just don't think it's been thought out properly. If they can pin a reason on the spike in asthma from say, the 80s upwards I would believe it more but I don't think the smoking ban has much to do with it.

Ex smoker, I just don't think it's been thought out properly. If they can pin a reason on the spike in asthma from say, the 80s upwards I would believe it more but I don't think the smoking ban has much to do with it.

Child asthma was on the rise at a rate of around 2.5% in the UK up to the introduction of the smoking ban. The following year there was a drop of more than 12% and it has continued to fall since.

It doesn't really matter what a few die hards think to be honest. The sensible know that the smoking ban has been very beneficial and the politicians and medics think the same. So it really doesn't matter if some folks want to kid themselves, unless of course that extends to forcing their smoke onto their children.

The spin off from all this is many smokers who previously smoked at home have seen the benefits, and even if they have been unable to quit now go outside to smoke rather than harming their families.

All good.

The article itself states:

A shame you can't take it at face value. Or is it a case of sour grapes from die-hard (or die-soon) smokers?

take nothing at face vaue - ever.

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 16:08 ----------

Child asthma was on the rise at a rate of around 2.5% in the UK up to the introduction of the smoking ban. The following year there was a drop of more than 12% and it has continued to fall since.

All good.

the article says that figure is an estimate - that`s Latin for guess, and makes the report pointless

blatant propaganda masquerading as news IMO

Good news that asthma levels have dropped.

Can't see the connection between that and the smoking ban though, there must be another reason (as suggested perhaps people are wiser about smoking inside the home these days?).

Where did you used to be able to smoke around kids before the ban? Schools (nope), cinemas (nope), shops (nope)?

take nothing at face vaue - ever.

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 16:08 ----------

the article says that figure is an estimate - that`s Latin for guess, and makes the report pointless

blatant propaganda masquerading as news IMO

Hardly pointless. I now go to the pub or restaurant and enjoy a pleasant smoke free evening. I really don't care what you think because your denials won't alter a thing. Making up stories is only helpful if you can get others to believe you.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived