Automatic or manual

Im looking to buy a newer car but im quite fancying an auto ! In 27 years of driving , ive never had one . Id like to get some pros and cons from people who have them and people who dont , to try and make up my mind ! Any feedback appreciated . thanks

I passed in a manual but had an auto for my first car. I'm not back to a manual and I have to say I really miss the auto.

It's nicer to drive and you can just concentrate on driving rather than changing gears and bite point and hill start etc.

It's a little bit (tiny) thirty on fuel for an auto but that was the only difference I noticed.

I have an auto for towing and its great. Much less tiring in traffic and you can keep both (or either) hand on the steering at all times. Drawback is slightly poorer fuel economy around town or on small journeys.

I drive manual vehicles at work and I always thought of autos as a lazy mans car but now I would always choose auto.

I'm a manual man myself, more control over the gears (changes when I want to change), and makes me feel more in tune with the car.

Suppose if you have poor concentration at the wheel, or are not very good with the gears then an auto is the way to go.

Suppose if you have poor concentration at the wheel, or are not very good with the gears then an auto is the way to go.

Could you be any more derogatory there?

People choose automatics for all sorts of reasons, most of which have nothing to do with concentration or being good (or not) with gears.

As for whether it makes you feel more in tune with the car, I can control the gears of my car with my right foot, so why should I flap my left foot AND left hand around to do the same thing?

Archived