Automatic or manual

Because by doing so you can choose exactly when to change gear and not have the gearbox decide, whihc isn't necessarily when you want it to.

Mostly automatics are fine and they dont use much more fuel than a manual does, certainly there isnt the huge fuel and weight penalties there were in the past. However if you want the ultimate in control of your vehicle, and also if you want the best reliability then you have to go with a manual.

Everyday driving? I really don't know - I like both, and own both - a small manual for everyday and if I'm going across Europe on holiday it'll be in the auto. IF I could only have one though I'd probably plump for a manual as they are far easier to drive in snow.

Im looking to buy a newer car but im quite fancying an auto ! In 27 years of driving , ive never had one . Id like to get some pros and cons from people who have them and people who dont , to try and make up my mind ! Any feedback appreciated . thanks

Why not a bit of both and go for semi-automatic, you can select automatic or change gears manually but without a clutch pedal.

That can't be because the MG-F is RWD and everyone knows that only female hairdressers drive them!
:confused:

IF I could only have one though I'd probably plump for a manual as they are far easier to drive in snow.
You choose a car gearbox type because of how it drives on snow? Which we get 5 days or so a year on average?

Why not a bit of both and go for semi-automatic, you can select automatic or change gears manually but without a clutch pedal.
Most modern autos have a 'manual' gear selection position. Still not as hands-on as a manual of course, but certainly a vast improvement. The main issue I have with autos is that they have little in the way of engine braking (whcih I use a lot, most times of the year), especially diesels.

:confused:

You choose a car gearbox type because of how it drives on snow? Which we get 5 days or so a year on average?

Most modern autos have a 'manual' gear selection position. Still not as hands-on as a manual of course, but certainly a vast improvement. The main issue I have with autos is that they have little in the way of engine braking (whcih I use a lot, most times of the year), especially diesels.

Can't you just put the stick in position 1 or 2 ? That'll give you engine braking...or isn't that what you mean?

Can't you just put the stick in position 1 or 2 ? That'll give you engine braking...or isn't that what you mean?
Not sure what you mean by "position 1 or 2". Merc auto box, there is no position "1 or 2". There is standard drive, or tip, and after that sport or cruise (standard) mode.

What I mean is that, using the standard drive setting, and all things being equal (good tyres/correct pressures/unladen car/same road sections) the auto gearbox/engine assembly provides very little in the way of braking once your foot is off the go-pedal. The car just glides on, and on, and on, without losing much speed at all (or auto-downshifting), compared to my previous (manual) cars.

Judicious/timely use of tip will provide some engine braking, of course.

EDIT - what Obelix says :D

Archived