Automatic or manual

Not sure what you mean by "position 1 or 2". Merc auto box, there is no position "1 or 2". There is standard drive, or tip, and after that sport or cruise (standard) mode.

A "traditional" autobox will have the following gate positions, Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, 3,2,1 on a box where the lever actually connects to various hydraulic valves. For the more modern autoboxes, tip/selectronics, it's all done electromechanically so the maning of the various positions is somewhat lost. I've driven both, and much preferred the mechanical lever as it meant the bloody ECU was unable to secondguess me and pick what it thought was best. Having an unexpected gear change mid corner on a snowy bend on the Stelvio pass was what finally made me buy a manual again.

i've been driving since 1966. for a number of years i averaged between 45000 & 55000 miles per anum. in total i have driven over 1,000,000 miles. whilst i don't consider myself an exceptional driver i do consider myself both competent & safe. in my experience drivers who go on about the 'experience' of driving are usually men [it's almost always men] who havent had cause to drive as part of their business & still enjoy the process. nothing wrong with that & i'm pleased for them. however personaly i drove manuals up until1998 & auto since then. i would never return to a manual. for pure ease of operation there is no comparison. i've never experienced any problems on hills & my current vehicle has a dsg auto box which is both quicker & gives better mileage than the equivalent manual. you need to ask yourself the question ' do i really enjoy the driving experience & wish to hang the tail end out on occasion or do i simply want to get from a to b in the most convenient way? ' if it's the former go for a manual if the latter get an auto.

you do get used to automatics and the extra freedom they offer however there are times when you wish you had a manual, like when you are parked on one of Sheffield's innumerable number of inclines with a flat battery and could get away with ease by means of a bump start with a manual but next to impossible with an automatic.

motorcycles are different. I much prefer manual with them over automatic.

I have an auto with a tiptronic gearbox meaning I can drive it as a manual when required.

Auto is my preference and also remember if you get gearbox problems than it is more costly to fix an auto.

Manual all the way, even a tiptronic box changes gear when it feels like. Manual is the only way you have full control of which gear you are in, add in the better economy and fun factor when on some nice country lanes I would take manual every time.

Im looking to buy a newer car but im quite fancying an auto ! In 27 years of driving , ive never had one . Id like to get some pros and cons from people who have them and people who dont , to try and make up my mind ! Any feedback appreciated . thanks

The decider for me was being stuck in traffic on A38 following a burst water main. After 2 hours in very slow moving queue my clutch foot was nearly dropping off. An auto transformed driving in traffic.

My wifes car is an auto which we also use to tow with and its perfect for that.

Thirsty but thats more to do with it being 4WD and weighing the same as a house than the auto box.

Mine is a manual but I wanted an economical car to commute 20k miles per year in so it perfect for that.

Ideally I would go for the VAG DSG mated to the 2.0TDi engine if I could afford one preferably in a Scirocco. Best of both worlds IMO.

I think a performance car that a young driver would wants to to drive should be a manual, give me a big diesel auto every time you have the power the grunt and no fussing about with gears and a clutch,towing is a breeze with an auto put it in gear put your foot down and it goes press the brakes and it stops simple,driving an auto in traffic is a lot better than a manual.

I can control the gears of my car with my right foot, so why should I flap my left foot AND left hand around to do the same thing?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:...Thats exactly right,the secret is in the right foot..the first auto i drove was a Vauxhall 101 estate car in 1968 and they have improved drastically since then.Nearly all my cars since,have been auto's and i would never have any other...only my Goldwing is manual:D...my present car is auto,has a transmission/torque brake on the gearstick for braking going downhill,three modes of drive..economy/power/electric..and fuel consumption at best so far 74.5 mpg,no slouch either with an 1800 VVTi engine and an electric motor on each front wheel.I had auto with Tiptronic in my BMW's and Mercedes but to be honest never used it much,just put them into gear and that was that,my E-Class had a "winter mode" which when used enabled the trans' to set off in second gear both forward and reverse,the tiptronic could also be used for engine braking when going downhill...Medusa has said it all,in a nutshell...:D:thumbsup:

Archived