Gas bills + cost

i had a card meter for the last 10years as it was in the property we moved to, in winter i was putting 35 quid a week just on gas, only using it for an hour and a half in the morning and about 4 at night, i was told i wasnt charged for having it, i later found out i was being charged 70quid a year when i asked why they were taking "debt" when i didnt have any debt!

i moved recently, i was worried i would get into debt with my bills when i realised the new house didnt have a card meter - boy was i shocked! my monthly bill for both the gas and electric has been less that 40 quid every time, only reaching 70 (for both) last month when the heating was used loads

i even had them check the bill incase it came back to haunt me later!

oh i should add, i am with eon they are cheap and they gave me a 150 quid winter allowance for my electric last year as i have someone at home with a disability, i didnt even know we qualified for it!

i had a card meter for the last 10years as it was in the property we moved to, in winter i was putting 35 quid a week just on gas, only using it for an hour and a half in the morning and about 4 at night, i was told i wasnt charged for having it, i later found out i was being charged 70quid a year when i asked why they were taking "debt" when i didnt have any debt!

i moved recently, i was worried i would get into debt with my bills when i realised the new house didnt have a card meter - boy was i shocked! my monthly bill for both the gas and electric has been less that 40 quid every time, only reaching 70 (for both) last month when the heating was used loads

i even had them check the bill incase it came back to haunt me later!

oh i should add, i am with eon they are cheap and they gave me a 150 quid winter allowance for my electric last year as i have someone at home with a disability, i didnt even know we qualified for it!

Did they give you any reason why they charged the £70 when they said they shouldn't charge for it ?

• 3 weeks later...

I just called BG to enquire whether I was on their best tariff now that both of my meters are billing meters and the lady told me that the 'online variable tariff' would be 6% cheaper than my current 'standard' tariff'

I've just been to look at the direct debit prices (for S8 area - yes, it varies by area !):

online variable tariff

Gas: 3.986p per kWh & daily standing charge 22.972p

Electric: 11.732p per kWh & daily standing charge 15.020p

vs standard tariff:

Gas: 4.242p per kWh & daily Standing Charge 24.439p

Electric: 12.482p per kWh & daily Standing Charge 15.979p

Only catch I can see for the Online variable tariff is that there is an 'exit' fee if you want to move to a different tariff or supplier (£30 per fuel).

I just called BG to enquire whether I was on their best tariff now that both of my meters are billing meters and the lady told me that the 'online variable tariff' would be 6% cheaper than my current 'standard' tariff'

I've just been to look at the direct debit prices (for S8 area - yes, it varies by area !):

online variable tariff

Gas: 3.986p per kWh & daily standing charge 22.972p

Electric: 11.732p per kWh & daily standing charge 15.020p

vs standard tariff:

Gas: 4.242p per kWh & daily Standing Charge 24.439p

Electric: 12.482p per kWh & daily Standing Charge 15.979p

Only catch I can see for the Online variable tariff is that there is an 'exit' fee if you want to move to a different tariff or supplier (£30 per fuel).

I'm in S8 and on EDF Blue+Price tariff. This is fixed until April 2014

Gas: 3.402p per kwh, and daily Standing Charge 22p

Elect: 11.13p per kwh, and daily Standing Charge 14p

They alert you if another tariff (from any supplier) would save you more that £50 a year. No exit fees if you want to move.

I really can't recommend this site enough

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=12-Feb-13&utm_campaign=utilities&utm_content=8

This link takes you to the Utilities section and from there you can follow the links to check what your cheapest tariff is.

Martin Lewis and his site have a fantastic reputation.

If your on prepayment cards like me try a company called ibeco. They are a non profit company and you pay the same tariff as their customers who pay quarterly, I'm now paying about 5-6 pound per week since I left British gas and you don't have to pay a daily charge either

I've gone with them for electric and am saving quite a bit compared to Npower. Not LOADS but enough, maybe using £5 less a week. I will be switching the gas shortly too, but am just over the debt limit allowed before they permit you to move.

Archived