Nominations for inependantly run shops of character and good service.

In these days of globalisation/standardisation, I thought I would put up a thread for 'Nominations for independently run shops of character and good service' :)

I would like to nominate:

1: Bardwells electrical shop on Abbeydale road, always personal service, patient staff with time for you no matter how busy they are (and they are always busy....

Where else can you buy a single metre of electrical cable, a single fuse. Plus get all the advice you can take in?

2: Mrs Turleys hardware shop on Sharrowvale Rd (aka Vale Hardware)

As you enter the shop you will see Mrs Turley sitting behind the beaded curtain in the back doorway, waiting to welcome you.

You'll get personal service, be able to buy a single hacksaw blade for twenty pence and if you only want one piece of wirewool she'll split a packet for you.

Plus a good old chat about the area if you want one.

3. Mr and Mrs Longs hardware shop on Greystones Road.

Expect the same good service as above, and come away with just the one single sheet of sandpaper for a few pence (B&Q would be a packet of several at about £2.50. Grrrrr)

Have you got a nomination? :)

I'm glad to hear Bardwells is still open. I have memories of it from about the mid-80s I think. An excellent alternative to Tandy :) .

[EDIT: I use several small independant internet shops, but I don't think these are what you're after. All have excellent service though.]

I love shops like that. Friendly, not pushy, and knowledgeable.

Do they extend to eateries too ?

I'd recommend 'The Dutch Pancake' (?) near TK Maxx.

I met the owner a long time ago, and she was an oversea student. Cannot remember entirely whether she is dutch. Her pricing are kept low, and her smoothies are really nice. Definitely more so than what you can get in shops, and it's fresh.

[..... I use several small independant internet shops, but I don't think these are what you're after. All have excellent service though.]

Sounds good to me - independant shops, excellent service... post 'em up :)

I love shops like that. Friendly, not pushy, and knowledgeable.

Do they extend to eateries too ?

Thanks, yeh, eateries too!

The more posts the better regarding inde shops offering good service :)

• 4 years later...

Atkinsons The Moor my wife purchased wool but on return home found she had not got enough rang Atkinsons pm Friday the order was delivered Sat am.

Also NUTOOLS Doncaster supplied a broken compressor part free of charge was just out of warranty.

Bardwells. I couldn't praise them enough. Left a bag with £980 on the counter. They put it aside until I returned, even when I returned I wasn't sure I'd left it there. A1 service too.

Shaws Ironmongers. Again excellent service. (with special ref to John)

Hangingwater stores. Always a smile and a shake of the hand from the owner.

Archived