Should insurance pay out if you crash in the snow?

Are you saying people deliberatly went out to crash?

Insurance is all about risk. If somebody went out when advised not to what other risks could they take? If you somehow demonstrate that you are willing to take more risks than the average person then why not expect to pay higher premiums?

I guess that we should stop people driving when young as that's a risk then. Or driving whilst old, driving with kids in teh back, driving at night, all these are extra risks.

There is a reason it's called comprehensive insurance and why you have to insure against *all* third party risks.

Insurance is all about risk. If somebody went out when advised not to what other risks could they take? If you somehow demonstrate that you are willing to take more risks than the average person then why not expect to pay higher premiums?

This is car insurance we are talking about.

Every driver pays it (or should). I've never heard of insurance not paying out because it snowed. Daft suggestion from the OP.

Now if talking about travel insurance it's reasonable not to be covered for dangerous activities , winter sports for example , unless extra premium is paid.

No-one goes out with the intention of crashing (unless you're one of those that scumbags that have been exposed on several documentaries) HOWEVER in conditions such that we have had in the last few days when investigating the cause of the incident if the tyres are deemed unsuitable for the conditions then the insurer is perfectly within grounds to withhold paying out (excluding to 3rd parties involved)

With regards to those that have stated along the lines of "ooh the extra cost yada yada" for fitting winter tyres. Tough. You bought the car, you should have researched the associated costs. Saying "but I bought new summer tyres and they cost me X amount" Tough. YOU are responsible for the vehicle and if it's not fit for the conditions you have 2 choices:-

1. Pay and make it fit.

2. Leave it at home and catch the bus.

On the continent, several countries including Germany have LAWS that state that appropriate tyres must be fitted (Summer/Winter) IMO that law would do well to migrate to this island.

I decided not to go out in the car today and worked from home instead but what about people who decided to go out in their car and ended up having a bump or worse a crash. Should their insurance pay out, increasing mine and everybody else's premiums, or make them foot the bill themselves for taking the risk?

I sort of get your point but driving in fog is dangerous, as is driving in heavy rain, as is driving in freezing conditions (not snow). So should insurance companies only pay out if people crash and it's lovely, sunny and warm outside at midday with excellent visibility?

As for winter tyres, they're for cold weather, some people seem to equate winter tyres as meaning only for snow. A different compound means they work better at low temperatures.

Archived