Should insurance pay out if you crash in the snow?

What about people that were involved in an accident that wasn't weather related?

Will the insurance company refuse to pay out because it was abit cold?

They don't have the time, money, resources or intelligent staff to investigate every crash and determine it's true cause.

Half the time the ones they do look at they end up blaming the wrong party anyway, or the new favourite is 50/50 responsibility.

We all know that insurance is about spreading risk, but perhaps a better word to use is sharing risk. This is particularly true with insurance that society has decided to make compulsory.

With this in mind, the answer to the question becomes obvious since society functions better when people struggle to get to work in adverse conditions.

I'm sure SevenRivers would welcome the cheaper car insurance that he would have to pay by agreeing to stay at home, but what if he was taken seriously ill and the ambulance took him to a hospital with no staff, because they couldn't afford the special "snow insurance", what's the point of motor insurance then?

I took my old, trustworthy Peugeot out today, on £30 tyres. Not a problem and I went to some tricky places.

Ditto. My old 306 got up some steep snow covered lanes in Wales on Sunday without any bother.

People who aren't confident in driving in bad weather should stay at home.

I don't have new rims, just swap the tyres twice a year. FWD only need 2.

Sorry, but you still need to fit them to all four wheels. Fitting them to just the front will get you moving but having summers on the back will decrease your stability leading to a tendency for the back end to try to overtake the front when you brake, go down hills or go round bends.

Don't worry though, you're not really wasting money by putting winter tyres on all four wheels as the new compounds used do not wear any faster than summer tyres.

jb

Archived