Warranty on already-replaced item..

You've already had a replacement item courtesy of a retailer/manufacturer warranty, and then some months afterwards the replacement develops a (different) fault.

Has your X month/year guarantee "started again" at the date of the replacement item, or does the original item purchase date still stand?

You've already had a replacement item courtesy of a retailer/manufacturer warranty, and then some months afterwards the replacement develops a (different) fault.

Has your X month/year guarantee "started again" at the date of the replacement item, or does the original item purchase date still stand?

In most cases the original item purchase date still stands.

I would say that the warranty period starts from the date of the initial purchase.

But the manufacturer needs to prove goods were fit for purpose. If the goods can't be made to last 12 months they clearly aren't.

I had a freeveiw box replaced after 10 months,they gave me another 12 month guarantee with the replacement.

But the manufacturer needs to prove goods were fit for purpose. If the goods can't be made to last 12 months they clearly aren't.

....replaced after 10 months,they gave me another 12 month guarantee with the replacement.

All interesting comments - Thank you.

The original fault was a broken part...it didn't actually stop the unit from working, but was annoying for an brand new and expensive item to suffer breakage within the first few weeks...

The latest fault is electrical : this time an intermittent fault, with the unit cutting out. Suffice to say, not working when it does....

The retailer claims a 12 month warranty : the manufacturer boasts 2 years.

I'm outside the 12 month, but inside - just - the 2 year period.....

Warranties are nice to have but ultimately your resort is the Sale of Goods act. An item has to be sufficiently "durable" taken into mind what it is and the price you paid. A £5 tesco special toaster would not be expected to last anywhere near as long as a £50 Breville one for example.

What's the item and the price paid?

Archived