Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?

Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?

Unless you bring in positive discrimination to up the percentages that apply then its about the best person for the job despite race or colour.

I agree, the selection procedure shouldn't be dumbed down to accommodate people who wouldn't normally be able to get in, however I do believe that groups that are under-represented should be targeted to encourage more applications from those groups.

Yes The police force should give the ethnics all their jobs why be any different to alot of other companies and services.Give them jobs JUST because they are ethnics and tell the white ones applying that they have no chance of getting the jobs because of the colour of their skins,of course at the same time why not tell them they are lazy.Thats what they are tarred with when unemployed nowadays isnt it?

I agree, the selection procedure shouldn't be dumbed down to accommodate people who wouldn't normally be able to get in, however I do believe that groups that are under-represented should be targeted to encourage more applications from those groups.

But why should any group be targeted ?

If a person wishes to enter and follow a certain career path they should apply to do so like anyone else without special treatment or encouragement.

i saw this on the news yesterday, it was actually about ones higher up the chain of command

what made me laugh was that they were seriously thinking about bringing in people from overseas purely to make the police higher up the chain of command feature black and asian people

it did make me laugh, idiots

But why should any group be targeted ?
Because I believe there are certain benefits in a police service reflecting the population it's paid to serve.

If a person wishes to enter and follow a certain career path they should apply to do so like anyone else without special treatment or encouragement.

I want the best people for the job, and if a section of society believes they're excluded from membership then we'll be selecting from a narrower pool of people than we could do.

To give you a possibly more pertinent example..high court and crown court judges are often denounced for being out of touch with the rest of us, the reason being they tend to be drawn from the public school, Oxbridge educated. Are you saying it would be wrong to hold seminars and information evenings at comprehensives so the common man (woman) with commonsense views actually considered the possibility of it becoming a career?

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 19:55 ----------

Yes The police force should give the ethnics all their jobs why be any different to alot of other companies and services.Give them jobs JUST because they are ethnics and tell the white ones applying that they have no chance of getting the jobs because of the colour of their skins,of course at the same time why not tell them they are lazy.Thats what they are tarred with when unemployed nowadays isnt it?

A startlingly erudite contribution.

Archived