Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?

Because I believe there are certain benefits in a police service reflecting the population it's paid to serve.

I want the best people for the job, and if a section of society believes they're excluded from membership then we'll be selecting from a narrower pool of people than we could do.

To give you a possibly more pertinent example..high court and crown court judges are often denounced for being out of touch with the rest of us, the reason being they tend to be drawn from the public school, Oxbridge educated. Are you saying it would be wrong to hold seminars and information evenings at comprehensives so the common man (woman) with commonsense views actually considered the possibility of it becoming a career?

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 19:55 ----------

A startlingly erudite contribution.

No but it would be wrong only include certain ethnic groups.

Why should it matter?

Unless you bring in positive discrimination to up the percentages that apply then its about the best person for the job despite race or colour.

Basically, this. There wasn't an option for that so I didn't vote.

i saw this on the news yesterday, it was actually about ones higher up the chain of command

what made me laugh was that they were seriously thinking about bringing in people from overseas purely to make the police higher up the chain of command feature black and asian people

it did make me laugh, idiots

It wouldn't be the first time that educational requirements, experience and qualifications were ignored simply to increase the quotas of people from certain ethnic groups. All that does is lower the standards to appease the minorities.

A far better idea would be for the minorities to achieve the qualifications required to do the job rather than compromise everything by employing folk who lack the skills to carry it out.

Because I believe there are certain benefits in a police service reflecting the population it's paid to serve.

I want the best people for the job, and if a section of society believes they're excluded from membership then we'll be selecting from a narrower pool of people than we could do.

To give you a possibly more pertinent example..high court and crown court judges are often denounced for being out of touch with the rest of us, the reason being they tend to be drawn from the public school, Oxbridge educated. Are you saying it would be wrong to hold seminars and information evenings at comprehensives so the common man (woman) with commonsense views actually considered the possibility of it becoming a career?

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 19:55 ----------

I fully agree that the police service should be made up of sections of society that they serve.

But the point is that no section of the community is excluded from applying to join and all know this. If certain sections do not wish to follow a career in the police service that is their choice and not the police's fault.

Information evenings are, or at least used to be held, which were open to anyone interested in a police career.

I never mentioned ethnic groups, I said groups which are 'under represented'.

There are no underrepresented groups, there are just British people and all British people can apply and if they have the required skills and are the best person for the job they should get it.

I never mentioned ethnic groups, I said groups which are 'under represented'.

To be fair nonces, muggers and terrorists are all 'under represented', for good reason.

The police should have the best people that apply to put themselves on the line to uphold the law, if they need coaxing into it they are not suitable. Race/religion should not come into it.

I fully agree that the police service should be made up of sections of society that they serve.

But the point is that no section of the community is excluded from applying to join and all know this. If certain sections do not wish to follow a career in the police service that is their choice and not the police's fault.

Information evenings are, or at least used to be held, which were open to anyone interested in a police career.

I think your view is a naive one, application is open to anybody, but for various reasons some people believe it isn't a career for them, when actually it very much could be and they would add something rather than take something away.

There are many talented individuals from many under represented groups who would make great coppers and I'd rather improve their chances of getting there rather than sit on my hands and say they can apply if they want to.

There was a fairly lively debate here the other day about the police's powers regarding stop & search and the use of racial profiling. The black community in London particularly are suspicious of the police and many distrust them. The apprehension and shooting of Mark Duggan in 2011 led to the riots. You could believe that the black community might have less to complain about if there was a higher probability that they might be stopped & searched by a black officer (I'm not at all advocating that blacks should only be searched by black officers by the way).

Archived