Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?

Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?

Maybe they've not considered it as a career for them, hence my support for information evenings in schools and colleges.

Lets face it not many young people regard a career in the police as a sexy alternative to a nice suited job in an advertising agency.

Wouldn't that apply equally regardless of skin colour?

There is a waiting list to get in the police from those who have passed the entrance exams so obviously enough people are aware of it as a career.

..and what would be wrong in improving the quality of officers by making the pool from which they're selected as large as possible?

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 20:37 ----------

Wouldn't that apply equally regardless of skin colour?

Never mentioned skin colour, my observations refer to under-represented groups as I said previously.

..and what would be wrong in improving the quality of officers by making the pool from which they're selected as large as possible?

But the pool is already as large as possible.

It is up to those from the minorities(under represented groups) to come forward.

Excactly which under represented groups are we referring to ?

But the pool is already as large as possible.

It is up to those from the minorities to come forward.

No it isn't as large as possible.

If there's annually 10 jobs available for an apprenticeship at ACME Ltd and there are 100 applications for those places, if through a little marketing they can increase those applications to 1000 it might mean more work sifting through applications, but the likelihood is that the 10 successful applicants will be of higher quality than those who applied previously or at the very least it will inform the company that their previous (organic) application process and was solid.

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 20:45 ----------

Which would they be then?

Women, gays and probably many more.

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 20:47 ----------

I agree, I could have an irrational fear of the police and because I'm white I wouldn't get the same treatment as other ethnic groups with an irrational fear of the police.

Let's make this simple..do you not believe an employer should take reasonable steps to ensure that they improve their chances of recruiting the best people to do a particular job?

If there's annually 10 jobs available for an apprenticeship at ACME Ltd and there are 100 applications for those places, if through a little marketing they can increase those applications to 1000 it might mean more work sifting through applications, but the likelihood is that the 10 successful applicants will be of higher quality than those who applied previously or at the very least it will inform the company that their previous (organic) application process and was solid.

Or it might mean the other 900 that took more persuading to apply ended up being a waste of time, or because there appears to be positive discrimination in favour of some ethnic groups during the recruitment process it puts off some more suitable candidates that don't belong to those groups.

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 20:51 ----------

Let's make this simple..do you not believe an employer should take reasonable steps to ensure that they improve their chances of recruiting the best people to do a particular job?

Providing there is no discrimination during the recruitment process and targeting one ethnic group over another is discrimination.

If I saw this on ajob advert I wouldn't apply.

Applications are particularly welcome from women and black and ethnic minority candidates.

Because it tells me they don't want white men.

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 20:45 ----------

Women, gays and probably many more.

The police already get many applications for posts as police officers and that is why there is a waiting list.

I am positive that those selected are considered suitable material.

I think it very naive to think that a person who would think a police career was suitable for them would not have the savvy to apply.

Was there not a force reprimanded a few years ago for positive discrimination?

Minority applicants were given coaching with regards the application process that other applicants were not.

However it's a moot point really as the new officer entry wage of £19,000 per year will discourage most people regardless of background.

Archived