Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?

Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Police racial mix reflect the communities they serve?

From the home office:

"There were 134,101 full-time equivalent (FTE) police officers in the 43 police

forces of England and Wales as at 31 March 2012."

"There were 6,664 FTE minority ethnic officers in the 43 English and Welsh

police forces as at 31 March 2012, 5.0 per cent of the total strength."

Ethnic minorities make up around 10% of the population and as they presently make up 5% of the total police force it don't seem that they are under represented by much. The numbers are also up on the previous years so may rise further in the future.

In comparison, parliament and local government both have around a 4% ethnic make up.

No, in an ideal world the racial mix of the Police wouldn't matter.

jb

as JB and others have said, it doesn't matter whether the police are black, white, green, or sky-blue-pink with yellow dots on, so long as they carry out their duties with honesty, integrity, and without fear or favour regarding things like orientation, gender, race, religion or disability.

From the home office:

"There were 134,101 full-time equivalent (FTE) police officers in the 43 police

forces of England and Wales as at 31 March 2012."

"There were 6,664 FTE minority ethnic officers in the 43 English and Welsh

police forces as at 31 March 2012, 5.0 per cent of the total strength."

Ethnic minorities make up around 10% of the population and as they presently make up 5% of the total police force it don't seem that they are under represented by much. The numbers are also up on the previous years so may rise further in the future.

In comparison, parliament and local government both have around a 4% ethnic make up.

50% under represented isn't much?

But the question is, is it acceptable to have officers restricted to areas that most represent their ethnicity?

Plus it would also perpetuate a society where different 'laws' are either made up or more enforced in different parts of the country based on their racial and cultural make up of said district.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLds6hbvag&feature=player_embedded

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/2458/_muslim_patrol_vigilantes_attempt_to_control_london_streets#.UPakFCiBNlU.twitter

50% under represented isn't much?

Taking it as a whole and in comparison with other organisations that have around 4% then no.

The fact is that people are not joining out of choice and that's all they have to do to increase the numbers.

Or it might mean the other 900 that took more persuading to apply ended up being a waste of time, or because there appears to be positive discrimination in favour of some ethnic groups during the recruitment process it puts off some more suitable candidates that don't belong to those groups.
Do you know how much money is generated in the 'headhunting' business? Companies pay recruitment consultants to go out and actively find individuals to fill a particular post, even if they're in a job already they'll spend time and energy trying to convince them to apply because they know they'll improve their chances of getting the best available person for the job, what I'm advocating is just a watered down version of that.

Providing there is no discrimination during the recruitment process and targeting one ethnic group over another is discrimination.

Absolutely agree, as I said earlier.

If I saw this on ajob advert I wouldn't apply.

Applications are particularly welcome from women and black and ethnic minority candidates.

Because it tells me they don't want white men.

Nor would I, in fact I can actually add some credibility to the statement. After I did my A levels I was interviewed informally by the police with a view to joining. The discussion went well and at the end of it the officer I'd been speaking to took shook my hand, smiled and said I'd have no problem being accepted. When I enquired why he didn't say it was because of my stunning personal qualities {smile} instead he intimated it was because of the colour of my skin-that was all I needed to know and I made my excuses and left. Tokenism invariably doesn't work, it stigmatises those who are the beneficiaries of it (even if they have the right qualities for the job) and it creates an element of distrust in others who haven't had a leg up and believe those that have aren't up to the job.

Doesn't make any sense.

So you don't think that UK police officers need to be either UK citizens or to be able to speak English. Wouldn't that make arresting someone who did speak English (like 95% of the population) rather difficult. Wouldn't it also make taking orders from senior officers rather difficult as well.

Archived