Maybe moving to Sheffield..trying to find good-ish area?

While Sheffield, like most post-industrial cities does have its problems, in my opinion the South West of Sheffield is one of the nicest areas in the country to live in. I am in S11, with country walks on the doorstep, 10 mins from Burbage Moor and 20 mins from the city centre. Crime is low and there are very good schools. Not too far from the shops and restaurants on Ecclesall Road and more alternative places in Sharrow and more interesting restaurants on London Road. Walkley (S6) is also nice as is Crookes (S10)

Netheredge (S7) - very pretty but a bit more crime and Meersbrook in Sheffield 8 has quite an alternative community. The city centre is indeed a bit horrible but you only need so many frocks and I shop on the internet. If you are self employed and likely to stay so you will not have to cope with the stagnant job market. Sheffield in general is a safe and friendly city, add to that the proximity of the Peak District and you have a great mix of country and city living. Welcome to Sheffield - hope you find somewhere good for you budget.

+1 to that, Hunters Bar, Ecclesall, Greystones all great places, no crime of any note, easy access to great local parks, countryside, pubs, restaurants etc etc. Easy transport links into town too.....

Hello there. I'm across the water from you and my folks still live in Sheffield.

What in particular is drawing you to Sheffield? If you're used to great transport links and a vibrant city like Liverpool, Sheffield is going to seem like a step back - especially being land-locked as it is. We're very lucky in having some lovely beaches and coast all well connected by the train.

Just take a look at the threads on here about the city centre, the sporting facilities in jeopardy, and it will give you an impression of the issues the city faces. Liverpool faces the same problems but its got its feet well under the table as far as tourism goes.

Don't judge the place just because you've been a couple of times. When the rose tinted tourist specs come off things can look different.

If you like Lark Lane then perhaps stay local and try somewhere on the Wirral? Oxton village is very similar (but a bit smaller), or West Kirby. Or staying on your side of the water - Brighton Le Sands.

Ha! you always appear to be quite pleased with yourself re moving from Sheffield to Liverpool, seems this person thinks it a bit pony!

s10 is an old hippy heaven

Maybe well off hippies - but its not quite up there with Meersbrook & Walkley in the yoghurt weaving stakes...

Most of the suggestions seem spot on - if you've got a bit of cash - Hunters Bar, Greystones, Crookes, Nether Edge, a bit cheaper and you've got Meersbrook & Walkley.

While Sheffield, like most post-industrial cities does have its problems, in my opinion the South West of Sheffield is one of the nicest areas in the country to live in. I am in S11, with country walks on the doorstep, 10 mins from Burbage Moor and 20 mins from the city centre. Crime is low and there are very good schools. Not too far from the shops and restaurants on Ecclesall Road and more alternative places in Sharrow and more interesting restaurants on London Road. Walkley (S6) is also nice as is Crookes (S10)

Netheredge (S7) - very pretty but a bit more crime and Meersbrook in Sheffield 8 has quite an alternative community. The city centre is indeed a bit horrible but you only need so many frocks and I shop on the internet. If you are self employed and likely to stay so you will not have to cope with the stagnant job market. Sheffield in general is a safe and friendly city, add to that the proximity of the Peak District and you have a great mix of country and city living. Welcome to Sheffield - hope you find somewhere good for you budget.

This is very good information, I'd second these suggestions. Would say Netheredge and Meersbrook are at the leafier end, and it sounds like that's what you're after.

Threads like this are pointless. Someone will say X is a good area, someone else will come along and say no it isnt, and that Y is, and it all decays into a slanging match and name calling and the OP is left wondering why they bothered asking in the first place.

It is no wonder you have no user name ..must be hard for you to think of one!

Liverpool is far better than Sheffield for cultural events and attractions.

The tourist revenue in Liverpool far exceeds anything Sheffield could attract.

The dock area and Shops put Sheffield in the shade.

Having said this Sheffield is friendly city and certainly has fantastic countryside on the doorstep.

I do agree that there is a siege mentality amongst many natives of Liverpool.

Ecclesall Road is probably the area you like most for a cafe culture,a little like Lark lane

Liverpool is far better than Sheffield for cultural events and attractions.

The tourist revenue in Liverpool far exceeds anything Sheffield could attract.

The dock area and Shops put Sheffield in the shade.

Having said this Sheffield is friendly city and certainly has fantastic countryside on the doorstep.

I do agree that there is a siege mentality amongst many natives of Liverpool.

Ecclesall Road is probably the area you like most for a cafe culture,a little like Lark lane

Yeah, most scousers I've met appear to be real culture vultures and who cares how many tourists are attracted to a place, I mean who'd want to live in Blackpool? Take The Beatles and Liverpool F.C out of the equation and Liverpool would just be a West coast Hull.

Archived