Maybe moving to Sheffield..trying to find good-ish area?

Wow, I am so impressed by all the valuable input from you guys (negative and positive)! Thank you very much :)

Yes, there are nice places in Liverpool such as the Docks, Sefton Park etc. And these are the bits I like about Liverpool - It's not all doom and gloom. On the other hand, in all those 3.5 years I lived here, I have been to these places only a handful of times (also, the festivals - I have never been to them - it's just not my cup of tea).

Cultural events make a place attractive but to me, people are more important - and being able to access the country side. If you asked me to choose between Derbyshire and Runcorn...well...Need I say more? ;-)

All I want is get out of my front door and feel home I guess. Although Liverpool has all those nice things - I still find it rather depressing on the whole. Liverpool City Council likes to show off to the tourists by making the city look nice and just recently revamped Edge Lane (only the front, mind! The houses behind the flashy new buildings are still run down) but they don't care much about the places where people actually live. The North of the city (which is a pretty big chunk) is horrific and yes, most cities have bad and good parts. Liverpool is just a bit potty in that regard - Apart from Crosby, Woolton and Mossley Hill (where you can't rent anyway, only buy) - all other parts of Liverpool are not solely good or bad. You always have to be careful which street you move to.

Actually, I think as someone mentioned, it would be a good idea to spend a weekend in Sheffield and have a little look around and see what it is really like. And if the people in Sheffield are anything like the people here in this forum I think we can look forward to a lovely weekend!

By the sounds of it, Sheffield has a much larger percentage of 'nice' areas than Liverpool then so I'm sure you'd be very happy living here.

The city centre may not be as vibrant as other comparable sized cities but we are blessed with many beautiful suburban locations interlocked by lots of parks and other green spaces - sure some are very expensive but many are also quite affordable.

Some of the better areas that spring to mind are as follows: -

Expensive:

Ecclesall Rd South

Whirlow

Ranmoor

Ringinglow

Dore

Totley

Mid range:

Tapton

Crookes

Worrall

Ecclesall (closer to city centre end)

Brincliffe

Stannington Village

Crosspool

Sandygate

Fulwood

Oughtibridge

Grenoside

Norton

Less expensive but still generally nice:

Walkley

Wadsley

Middlewood

Ecclesfield

There are also areas such as Nether Edge that you could put in all the above categories.

... and don't let the haters put you off Sheffield - it's a great place to live and work.

Good luck.

Somewhere close to Hunters Bar (junction of Ecclesall Rd and Brocco Bank when looking on Google Maps) would seem to fit your needs. Near to both the Botanical Gardens and Endcliffe Park for Parks, and pleasant walks from Endcliffe Park westwards towards countryside if you like that type of thing. This part of Ecclesall Road itself is pretty flat, but some of the roads off it can be quite steep (around Hunter House Road if looking on a map), if this might be an issue.

There are lots of terraced houses on the south side of Ecclesall Rd, many of which are let. Cafe culture type shops on Ecclesall Rd, and also on London Rd which is not far away.

The city centre is walkable from there in about 20/25 minutes, although tbh I’m not sure what benefits you would find. Areas around Division street and West street might suit you. The Moor is one of the main shopping areas of town (pedestrianised) and is easily accessible from Ecclesall Rd (once you’ve crossed Hanover Way). There is development at present on the Moor (the markets currently at the other side of town are being relocated into a new complex there).

At the end of Ecclesall Rd nearest town are some modern developments of apartments, many to rent. On the North side of Ecclesall Rd, there are more of a mixture of houses, and I would say, generally more trees, but check on a road by road basis on Google Street View. From what you describe, areas around Thompson Road might suit.

Parking can be a problem in the area off Ecclesall Road. In recent years resident parking schemes have been introduced, which have eased the pressure (I think). (There are some threads on here about residents parking schemes, both pro and anti). As you don’t drive this will not be a problem, but might mean that a particular house might suit you that others do not like because of possible parking problems. In the back of my mind I think I have read that some housing (possibly apartments nearer town) are specifically for people who do not have cars – I believe this was part of the planning. I don’t know any details of what they are or where they are. Maybe someone else can explain. It was just a thought that these may be cheaper to rent. But they are probably near or in town, away from the trees.

You specifically mentioned Greystones. As you will be aware, this is further out. It extends over quite an area. Some parts have easy access to Ecclesall Road (and therefore lots of buses), some easy access to Endcliffe Park, and some easy access to the top of Bingham Park. There are plenty of shops on that section of Ecclesall Rd also. Buses run along Ecclesall Road and Greysones Rd. The Greystones Rd ones might be less predictable in snowy weather, as the road is steeper.

There is a supermarket roughly opposite the bottom of Greystones Rd, plus dedicated butchers, fruit and veg, bread etc further up Ecclesall Rd.

On the flat section of Ecclesall Rd between Hunters Bar and town there are nedium sized Sainsbury and Tesco Shops, plus a small M&S food shop and a Waitrose. Also, some shops on Sharrow Vale Road, nearby.

I’ve not mentioned costs, simply because I’ve no idea what the going rate is for anything around the area. Good luck with your search.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 10:30 ----------

I'm sure I once read that Sheffield retained a higher percentage of students after graduating than any other city. Whether that's still the case I don't know, but there must be something about the place that people like for them to want to stay and make it their permanent home.

Regards

Doom

I know quite a few ex Sheff Uni students who settled here, mostly around Nether Green and out to Fulwood, and a few in Nether Edge. They all seem to be into outside stuff like cycling and/or mountain biking, climbing or walking.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 10:37 ----------

I haven't yet - we don't want to tell anyone before we make the decision.

But yes, the countryside is big factor as well..last time we came we were taken to Chatsworth and I couldn't believe how close it was. I also love the fact that Sheffield is a green city!

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 15:19 ----------

In fact we are working from home so I would be happy with a lovely view out of the window :-) I know it's not as cheap as Liverpool but I am happy to pay 100 £ more if push comes to shove!

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 15:20 ----------

600 pcm is a but high but we could cope with 550. Even our area is usually more expensive - maybe we are lucky and find something cheap..

Re BIB. As Sheffield has lots on hills, especially to the west side, you might be able to strike very lucky in terms of panoramic views, with a lot of greenery, especially from upstairs windows. I recall at house for sale recently (not rent unfortunately), on rightmove, somewhere around Sharrow Head, probably, where they'd included a shot from the house, looking north - it was mostly treetops.

There are sunday street markets several times a year on Sharrow Vale Road and at Nether Edge, adding to the vibrancy of these areas. You can see that the local shops and areas are trying to generate activity, which is a good thing.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 10:43 ----------

I knew someone who lived on Manchester Road and had a fantastic view of the city to die for. Same over at the top of Meersbrook Park.

Even smaller places can take advantage of the view with a loft conversion and a dormer window.

As a kid, we lived on Bole Hill Road, and could see forever (or it seemed like it), looking north.

Apologies to all the Sheffielders for this but after living in Sheff for nearly thirty years I moved to Chesterfield and loved it, it has everything you could need but still retains that 'small town' feel and is even closer to places like Matlock, Bakewell, Chatsworth etc. Well worth a consideration.

I'm an S11 dweller and it is generally very nice. The Ecclesall Road/Sharrow Vale Road area in particular is lovely for the independent shops, coffee houses, botanical gardens, etc. The only thing I would say is do a bit of investigating to make sure that you're not buying/renting bang in the middle of a student area. There are a lot of them around here and while the majority of them tend to be pleasant enough (they get a worse rap than they deserve), noise can be an issue in those areas, particularly at night when the alcohol kicks in.

As a Sheffield immigrant myself (I'm an ex-Brummie) I love the city and have no regrets about moving here. It's got its issues but the good outweighs the bad by a long way and it's usually a very nice place to be.

I'm an S11 dweller and it is generally very nice. The Ecclesall Road/Sharrow Vale Road area in particular is lovely for the independent shops, coffee houses, botanical gardens, etc. The only thing I would say is do a bit of investigating to make sure that you're not buying/renting bang in the middle of a student area. There are a lot of them around here and while the majority of them tend to be pleasant enough (they get a worse rap than they deserve), noise can be an issue in those areas, particularly at night when the alcohol kicks in.

As a Sheffield immigrant myself (I'm an ex-Brummie) I love the city and have no regrets about moving here. It's got its issues but the good outweighs the bad by a long way and it's usually a very nice place to be.

Sorry, not picking up on grammar or anything like that, as it’s correct, but the thought of several botanical gardens (like several coffee shops etc) struck me as funny.

Sorry, not picking up on grammar or anything like that, as it’s correct, but the thought of several botanical gardens (like several coffee shops etc) struck me as funny.

There are several,all housed within one perimeter fence.Sorry to split (h)areas!

Haha, I just re-read it and I see what you mean. If I was more on the ball then I'd have made the following argument though ;)

There are several,all housed within one perimeter fence.Sorry to split (h)areas!

Good save! :thumbsup:

I think this thread highlights a lot of what is great about Sheffield. We tend to get a lot of fully justified moans on here about the city centre's various shortcomings compared to other more important cities, but the areas where people actually live and spend most of their time are on the whole either OK or very good.

Archived