Maybe moving to Sheffield..trying to find good-ish area?

Mod Note

Keep it civil please, try to make your points without having a dig at other users.

If you disagree with someone attack the argument and not the person making it.

Other people have mentioned S11, S7 (Nether Edge) is also nice in places. If you want to live in much of S11 or S10 you shouldn't mind being around hordes of young 20 something students during term time and the accompanying noise, litter, drunkenness and general irritation of very young people who are high on life with not much sense of responsibility or any awareness for the other people in their community. I lived in a nice terrace in a good area of S11 with students next door who flatly ignored my kind requests to keep things down after midnight, who left the shared areas (we shared a back yard with bins etc.) in a terrible mess and were on occasion threatening to the point of being intimidating. This is typical. If you don't mind walking out of your flat in the morning and seeing the remains of last nights kebab or chips on the pavement, your bins and their contents everywhere that someone turned over for a laugh when they were piseed and empty beer cans and bottles in your front garden then you won't mind living around Eccy Road.

To be honest, I don't know if coming to Sheffield is going to make you feel better. Uplifting it isn't. The city centre is mainly pretty dispiriting, it was bombed very badly and apart from one or two streets is bland and run down, although some minor improvements are being made. I would say Liverpool city centre is far more impressive. I lived in Liverpool briefly, I would say the people are about ten times more friendly than the people of Sheffield. I lost count of how many times I went into pubs in Liverpool and got talking with the people on the next door table, this almost never happens in Sheffield where the people are reserved and can even be downright hostile to outsiders. Sheffield also has similar economic problems to Liverpool in that you go into town and if you look around you can be forgiven for thinking half the city is on benefits and the other half working in minimum wage jobs. Also, a 1 bed flat in a nice part of S11, S7 or S10 is likely to cost you around 550 pcm not including any bills so around 650 with bills. I know this from experience. Demand in the rentals market in the nice parts of Sheffield far outstrips supply. Oh well, good luck, some people love it here, it has been said Sheffield feels 20 years behind places like Leeds and Manchester, I would say more like 40 or 50.

• 1 month later...
Wow, I am so impressed by all the valuable input from you guys (negative and positive)! Thank you very much :)

Yes, there are nice places in Liverpool such as the Docks, Sefton Park etc. And these are the bits I like about Liverpool - It's not all doom and gloom. On the other hand, in all those 3.5 years I lived here, I have been to these places only a handful of times (also, the festivals - I have never been to them - it's just not my cup of tea).

Cultural events make a place attractive but to me, people are more important - and being able to access the country side. If you asked me to choose between Derbyshire and Runcorn...well...Need I say more? ;-)

All I want is get out of my front door and feel home I guess. Although Liverpool has all those nice things - I still find it rather depressing on the whole. Liverpool City Council likes to show off to the tourists by making the city look nice and just recently revamped Edge Lane (only the front, mind! The houses behind the flashy new buildings are still run down) but they don't care much about the places where people actually live. The North of the city (which is a pretty big chunk) is horrific and yes, most cities have bad and good parts. Liverpool is just a bit potty in that regard - Apart from Crosby, Woolton and Mossley Hill (where you can't rent anyway, only buy) - all other parts of Liverpool are not solely good or bad. You always have to be careful which street you move to.

Actually, I think as someone mentioned, it would be a good idea to spend a weekend in Sheffield and have a little look around and see what it is really like. And if the people in Sheffield are anything like the people here in this forum I think we can look forward to a lovely weekend!

***Can I suggest Loxley, a small friendly green village, with houses/cottages of all types and sizes. Only ten minutes walk from the edge of the peak district and stunning views and walks. Five minutes walk to the tram which runs straight into the city centre. Or you can use the bus service which is hourly, I think?

My second choice would be Ecclesall, and third would be Meersbrook.

Obviously like any place sheffield has good and bad areas. Ive lived in Chapeltown a long time and love the area, nice little place. But have always liked crookes/walkley. As some one mentioned it all depends on your price range. Hope you find what youre looking for

• 4 weeks later...

Archived