Irish debate increasing drink drive limits in rural areas.

i'm anglo-irish father from sheffield mother from clare. spent all my childhood summers there, have lived there & attended two schools there. i go over every year to visit my family so am fairly up on irish affairs.

choogling, if you think he looks like a nut case you should see his dad jackie . his dad was in politics before him & is a complete lunatic.

i frequent an irish political forum & i have to tell you he's taking incredible stick on there!

geared, neither the irish nor english are races. the irish are members of the celtic race whilst the english are members of the germanic race. so strictly speaking they are seperate races but dont worry i certainly didnt take offence & in fact was impressed that you spelt whiskey correctly.

Its a joke, is it completely unreasonable for them to go to the pub but have a soft or hot drink?
Pretty soon there won't be many country pubs left in Ireland for them to drink Coca Cola in. I speak from experience. Much of my family lives in County Clare.

Pretty soon there won't be many country pubs left in Ireland for them to drink Coca Cola in. I speak from experience. Much of my family lives in County Clare.

Does it have to be a pub though? Are there no community centres? Its not like no transport isn't a problem if they're allowing drink driving.

buck. whereabouts in clare? my family are from the Bodyke,Tuamgraney, Scarriff area of east Clare near Lough Derg.
We have some in Shannon, Six mile bridge, Bunratty, Quin, and Ennis. The family in Six Mile Bridge own a cabin cruiser on Lough Derg. The Banner County, Ireland's best!

yes up the banner! we have cousins in six mile bridge my mothers cousin who was a mary ann kelleher before her marriage to an englishman called frank ellis from barrow in furness.

great bloke frank about six foot three & sixteen stone & as gentle as they come.

Does it have to be a pub though? Are there no community centres? Its not like no transport isn't a problem if they're allowing drink driving.
Most people in Ireland have got used to having a designated driver like in UK. This works OK where there are enough taxis around. But the country areas are not as well served with public transport or taxis as you would normally find in UK. It's usually an elderly farmer out for a couple of jars after the 9 o'clock news where there is very little traffic. Not exactly a drunken orgy. Our family home at Bunratty is on a country lane without transport of any kind, and no taxi service. I wouldn't begrudge my nephew a couple of pints taken over a pair of hours, so why should you from good old puritan Sheffield? Contrary to popular belief, Ireland is not ram jam full of drunks, far from it.

Archived