British citizen faces death penalty in Indonesia.

These people risked the lives of everybody on board the aircraft. Their 'friend' could have packed a bomb in their luggage.

You've never let a close friend, partner put anything in a bag/suitcase for you?

As is obvious by the Noor Atiqah “Iqah” M. Lasim story in the link I posted, these people can play a very long game.. building up what can appear to at least one party a close trusting relationship to achieve their aims...

---------- Post added 24-01-2013 at 11:25 ----------

But it would be fairly easy for me to cast reasonable doubt on me being a genuine drug smuggler.

If you're still alive, yes.. and that is the point; having not been shot in the first instance you'd have the opportunity to appeal. Kind of difficult once you've taken a bullet...

The woman in question couldnt. probably mainly because she associated with known players in the drugs underworld.

'bang to rights m'lud.. please shoot me'

It couldn't possibly be because as she stated in her defence she was being coerced?

If we were to accept on a theoretical basis that coercion was taking place I assume this would likely bring her into contact with these 'known players' ?

Anyway this is devolving into a captial punishment or not debate, which wasn't my intention. I (and others) observed that shooting someone (that could potentially be telling the truth) or even if they aren't, is more likely to damage the image of Indonesia as a tourist destination than a tourist actually smuggling in a few kgs of cocaine. Especially when there is a potential risk, no matter how small that anybody visting could find themselves dragged into such a mess..

Anyway this is devolving into a captial punishment or not debate, which wasn't my intention. I (and others) observed that shooting someone (that could potentially be telling the truth) or even if they aren't, is more likely to damage the image of Indonesia as a tourist destination than a tourist actually smuggling in a few kgs of cocaine. Especially when there is a potential risk, no matter how small that anybody visting could find themselves dragged into such a mess..

It hasnt harmed the USA. One could find oneself dragged into a homicide too which could get you a death sentence there.

It hasnt harmed the USA. One could find oneself dragged into a homicide too which could get you a death sentence there.

Not all US States have the death penalty, and I would suggest that it'd be infinitely more unlikely to get dragged into a homicide to the point where you're found to be the one holding the gun, and actually killing somebody to warrant the death penalty.. In which case you probably have killed somebody by that point, and there is likely to be a case to answer. But granted it could still happen.. so I would imagine it's about perceived risk.

There appears, on the face of a brief bit of Googling, more of a perceived risk of getting stitched up as a drugs mule while travelling than there is a perception of being stitched up for a murder in the US.. simply by looking on travel websites etc, the number of people worried and stressing concerns of that risk.

Besides while in no way perfect I think I'd trust the US judicial system at the level where the death penalty is handed out more than the Indonesian one..

Out of all the options for the death penalty in the modern world, which would you choose if you had to choose one? Which would be the least savoury option as far as you're concerned?

Don't forget 'modern' world includes beheadings and stoning......nice.

This was the original question which has been answered by some but mostly it's gone into a debate about the merits or otherwise of the death penalty.

Personally I'd go for a lethal injection, although I don't understand why a lethal injection isn't just an overdose of a general anaesthetic, as that would seem an easy way out to me.

Why did you feel the need to be so defensive and slightly insulting about my post? :huh:

The fact is that Malaysia is one of 7 countries that still has the legal possibility of using execution against people that don't believe in Allah.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/10/the-seven-countries-where-the-state-can-execute-you-for-being-atheist/

Whilst this might seem a rather slim possibility now, while it remains enshrined in law there it could be used if the political environment changes. There were rather vocal demands to execute a Malaysian who publicly announce himself as an atheist a few years ago, before he decided rather sensibly, in the face of threats, to say he'd changed his mind. Malaysia was also quick to extradite a Saudi citizen back to Saudi Arabia for his "crime" of atheism, where he really does face the death penalty.

I haven't been to Malaysia, and fail to see how that is relevant. I refuse to visit such a country, no matter how nice they dress it up for tourists, because of some of the things I have learnt about it.

My question was a theoretical one, addressed to somebody who thinks it's none of our business that Bali executes drug dealers. Malaysia could theoretically execute atheists, so I was asking if that should be none of our business too if it actually happened?

Personally, I think we have every right to complain when other countries abuse their laws to commit atrocities, if you don't then in theory you would not complain if another country executed somebody for being gay, or atheist, or for disagreeing with those in power.

If you feel that question takes the biscuit for garbage on this forum, then I will discuss with you no more.

the trouble here is that you haven't taken the trouble to examine your own Washington Post link properly. Malaysia doesn't figure on the map provided, and even Indonesia, which does, isn't listed as being a country where it is theoretically possible for the death penalty to be levied for aspostates (which is what I imagine you mean, as in both Malaysia and Indonesia alike, non-Muslims, who amount to many millions of people in both countries, are not subject to sharia law).

the apostasy issue among the Muslim community (though not anyone else) is indeed a legal issue in Malaysia and a very controversial one, however there is no way the death penalty can possibly be levied for it. The death penalty in Malaysia can only be applied to serious crimes such as murder and drugs trafficking - and in recent years, very rarely (a moritorium on actually carrying out executions as opposed to merely issuing death sentences has been in place in Malaysia for years now, in common with the majority of other south east Asian countries).

the seven countries referenced in the article are all in the Middle East and central Asia and several thousand miles/five or six hours on a plane from Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.

being familiar with Malaysia actually is quite important, because if you were familiar with it rather than being so ignorant about it you can't even recognise where it is on a map, then you wouldn't be so imbecilic as to write something as totally ludicrous as 'there is a legal possibility of using execution against people that don't believe in Allah' there.

You take someones life, be prepared to lose your own, SIMPLE, You steal be Prepared to lose a Limb, OMG, that's the only deterrant because nothing else will stop these savages of society.

Yep, just about spot on.

You're not the sharpest card in the deck are you? How is the death penalty a deterrent when someone kills someone who hasn't been deterred from killing that someone in the first place?

A 14yr old girl steals lipstick from Boots...you gonna hack her limb off? (what was that you were saying about savages?)

You take someones life, be prepared to lose your own, SIMPLE, You steal be Prepared to lose a Limb, OMG, that's the only deterrant because nothing else will stop these savages of society.

I nicked a packet of fruit polos from the corner shop when I was about eight years old. I knew it was wrong.

You really think I should have been held down and have my hand cut off?

That's perverted. Maybe you need to go and join the Taliban or something.

Archived