British citizen faces death penalty in Indonesia.

sorry for the grandmother, but she knew the risk she was taking if she got caught,

Bit harsh if she was telling the truth in her defence... that she was coerced;

"targeted by drug traffickers who exploited her vulnerability and made threats against her children".

Kind of reiterates my point in my previous post though (and tinfoilhat's observation).. I don't think her 'smuggling' the cocaine will have "damaged the image of Bali as a tourism destination" so much as shooting her will...

I know I shouldn't laugh but I did find it mildly amusing that one of the reasons the death sentence was give is because it "damaged the image of Bali as a tourist destination". I'm not sure shooting people helps.

But it is certainly a lot cheaper than keeping someone banged up for the next 25 years.

Kind of reiterates my point in my previous post though (and tinfoilhat's observation).. I don't think her 'smuggling' the cocaine will have "damaged the image of Bali as a tourism destination" so much as shooting her will...

There were terrorist bombs that killed scores of tourists in Bali. The perpetrators were executed. I think that sent out a better message to tourists that their welfare was paramount than a custodial sentence. You only get shot by the authorities if you do the crime. The criminals are the ones who prefer to kill the innocent.

There were terrorist bombs that killed scores of tourists in Bali. The perpetrators were executed. I think that sent out a better message to tourists that their welfare was paramount than a custodial sentence. You only get shot by the authorities if you do the crime. The criminals are the ones who prefer to kill the innocent.

Different scenario... much!

The "message" I'm getting is.. if I go to Bali, and someone plants something on me, or threatens to kill my children if I don't do what they demand then I face being executed if I'm caught doing the 'crime'... While the criminals actually behind said 'crime' go scot free..

This is one tourist that would prefer not to take that risk.. and go to Skegvegas instead! :hihi:

Indeed, I've always been put off from some of these eastern locations for that reason. Not that I'm a drugs mule or anything, but there's always the chance someone slips something into your possessions. In fact it seems me to be a more likely occurrence in these places; as risk averse smugglers would most likely want someone else to 'carry the can'

When we were last in India we were warned by 3 different hotel managers to keep a close eye on our bags as the police had a scam going where a street vendor would slip some dope into tourists bags, then the copper would turn up and ask to search the bag, produce the dope and demand a "fine" to look the other way. If you didn't pay up then you'd be arrested and the "fine" you'd have to pay the sergeant to get released would be several times larger, don't pay that fine and the inspector wants an even bigger "fine" to lose the evidence, don't pay the inspector and you just got yourself a 10 year mandatory jail sentence.

She apparently did it as her family were threatened if she did not do so.

She also had a history of mental health problems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20935041

Whether this is true or not then who knows?

What would you do were you in a similar situation?

Don't they all.

She committed the crime, she will have to face the consequences. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Archived