British citizen faces death penalty in Indonesia.

Lindsey sandiford, a British middle aged woman from gloucestershire is facing death by firing squad for smuggling 4.8kg of Cocaine.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21137649

Sounds a bit harsh (although I don't actually think it will happen) but as there's a big sign at the airport saying drug dealers will be executed is it case of "their gaff, their rules".

I know I shouldn't laugh but I did find it mildly amusing that one of the reasons the death sentence was give is because it "damaged the image of Bali as a tourist destination". I'm not sure shooting people helps.

They dont just shoot anyone

Death is a harsh sentence for something other than murder I think. However, she knew the law and chose to break it out of greed. Silly girl.

To answer the question I think I'd go for lethal injection.

Whether she is guilty or innocent, the death penalty is a massive overreaction.

People are regularly sentenced to death in far eastern countries for as little as possession of cannabis; it's ridiculous!!

And to prove the death penalty doesn't work, people are still using recreational drugs and even worse, they are producing them.

Beautiful part of the world, but I wouldn't go there if someone paid me. It's controlled by nut jobs!!

Whether she is guilty or innocent, the death penalty is a massive overreaction.

People are regularly sentenced to death in far eastern countries for as little as possession of cannabis; it's ridiculous!!

And to prove the death penalty doesn't work, people are still using recreational drugs and even worse, they are producing them.

Beautiful part of the world, but I wouldn't go there if someone paid me. It's controlled by nut jobs!!

That pretty much sums up my view. I'm also with Swampster in regard to the message it sends out, it'll do more harm to their image than the crime itself.

As I understand it there may be mitigating circumstances due to threats against family members. This should have been investigated. It may be a yarn, but if it isn't I don't really see what executing this woman will achieve. Would seem to have missed the target.

Well, people know the rules in these countries, and she had 10.6lb of cocaine in the suitcase lining, sorry no sympathy.

They do, however, it's not clear *why* they were there, many claim greed but that doesn't seem to be reflected in any of the articles I've read.

Unless you're wrongly convicted of course. No chance of a reprieve once you're dead. :-(

Being caught red handed and confessing probably rules that out, as does taking part in a sting operation to arrest others involved in the operation.

Being caught red handed and confessing probably rules that out, as does taking part in a sting operation to arrest others involved in the operation.

The defendant being mentally ill and also coerced isn't a firm basis for conviction in my book.

Even if this lady is guilty, the point still stands. Plenty of other people have been, and will continue to be, wrongly executed. Their lives aren't a price worth paying to maintain this barbaric method of punishment.

Lindsey sandiford, a British middle aged woman from gloucestershire is facing death by firing squad for smuggling 4.8kg of Cocaine.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21137649

Sounds a bit harsh (although I don't actually think it will happen) but as there's a big sign at the airport saying drug dealers will be executed is it case of "their gaff, their rules".

I know I shouldn't laugh but I did find it mildly amusing that one of the reasons the death sentence was give is because it "damaged the image of Bali as a tourist destination". I'm not sure shooting people helps.

Exactly. If you commit a crime in another country knowing full well what the punishment is, then i have no sympathy for them what so ever. Just because this country is soft on drugs , dosnt mean everywhere else is as lenient as the UK.

---------- Post added 22-01-2013 at 20:44 ----------

She shouldn't be facing a death sentence.

Why ? she knew the punishment for smuggling drugs , got caught, so has to face the punishment.

Well, people know the rules in these countries, and she had 10.6lb of cocaine in the suitcase lining, sorry no sympathy.

Totally Agree.

Archived