British citizen faces death penalty in Indonesia.

But it is certainly a lot cheaper than keeping someone banged up for the next 25 years.

Very enlightening.

Personally I don't see how any country steeped in political corruption including drug cartels can pontificate on an individuals life.

The chances are she won't be executed, but looking at past executions I'm guessing it will be very difficult to find anyone executed at state level as part of those stats..it's always someone carrying a bag rather than moving a couple of ton.

It's all government media boll**** which deflects the real issues. State sponsored corruption.

When we were last in India we were warned by 3 different hotel managers to keep a close eye on our bags as the police had a scam going where a street vendor would slip some dope into tourists bags, then the copper would turn up and ask to search the bag, produce the dope and demand a "fine" to look the other way. If you didn't pay up then you'd be arrested and the "fine" you'd have to pay the sergeant to get released would be several times larger, don't pay that fine and the inspector wants an even bigger "fine" to lose the evidence, don't pay the inspector and you just got yourself a 10 year mandatory jail sentence.

I knew there was a reason I will never go to india or bali

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 00:32 ----------

Nothing gives anyone the right to take someone's life. It's murder, whether it's carried out by the person next door or by a government.

thats probably the reason they dont want drugs being imported by tourist

I see British grandmother Linsay Sandiford has been sentenced to death by firing squad in Indonesia for drug smuggling.

Out of all the options for the death penalty in the modern world, which would you choose if you had to choose one? Which would be the least savoury option as far as you're concerned?

Don't forget 'modern' world includes beheadings and stoning......nice.

Being drowned in a vat of wine. Preferably one of the finer vintages.

Nothing gives anyone the right to take someone's life. It's murder, whether it's carried out by the person next door or by a government.

sorry you really dont get it do you? commit a crime in another country then be prepared to be punished by their laws simple! she knew exactly what she was doing and all this do gooder handwringing on tv by "support" organisations like "reprieve & Liberty" et all doesnt wash! the old story of mental illness and threats etc .......well she would say that wouldnt she:loopy:

sorry you really dont get it do you? commit a crime in another country then be prepared to be punished by their laws simple! she knew exactly what she was doing and all this do gooder handwringing on tv by "support" organisations like "reprieve & Liberty" et all doesnt wash! the old story of mental illness and threats etc .......well she would say that wouldnt she:loopy:

The point, dear Adam, is that it's fundamentally wrong to kill people. Even people who've done 'bad' things.

They claim her actions have damaged the image of Bali as a tourist destination, but I would think her execution is likely to cause more damage.

It would make me think twice about going to such a place, maybe the best thing to do is for everyone to stop taking holidays there.

Archived