British citizen faces death penalty in Indonesia.

They claim her actions have damaged the image of Bali as a tourist destination, but I would think her execution is likely to cause more damage.

It would make me think twice about going to such a place, maybe the best thing to do is for everyone to stop taking holidays there.

Why?? :confused: In support of this coke dealing criminal? Its a fantastic country with plenty to offer. Just try to remember not to take class A drugs in when you go and you can avoid a death sentence quite easily

They claim her actions have damaged the image of Bali as a tourist destination, but I would think her execution is likely to cause more damage.

It would make me think twice about going to such a place, maybe the best thing to do is for everyone to stop taking holidays there.

Or maybe people stop trying to smuggle drugs into their country, then this issue wouldnt arise.

If you visit another country ,you must respect that country`s laws, and be aware of the punishments for breaking their laws. It is for the Government of any country to decide what laws they put in place ,and what punishment to impose for anyone breaking those laws. I had to laugh when i saw a Government minister speaking in Parliament yesterday about this matter. Its got nothing to do with the British Government what punishment another country`s courts pass . This woman knew the punishment for drug smuggling, yet still tried to enter the country with a massive amount of Drugs and got caught. No sympathy what so ever.

I know I shouldn't laugh but I did find it mildly amusing that one of the reasons the death sentence was give is because it "damaged the image of Bali as a tourist destination". I'm not sure shooting people helps.

As soon as this was mentioned on the news last night my wife said, "well that's Bali off my want to visit list".

It was already on my never visit list, along with many other so-called "paradises".

The word "paradise" seems to mean something else these days, inhabited by fanatical nutcases or something like that?

I have made a decision never to visit anywhere where most of the locals hate me, although I make an exception for Wales and Scotland. Anybody remember this wedding ceremony in Malaysia?

As for the question, death by old age would be my choice.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 10:54 ----------

Or maybe people stop trying to smuggle drugs into their country, then this issue wouldnt arise.

If you visit another country ,you must respect that country`s laws, and be aware of the punishments for breaking their laws. It is for the Government of any country to decide what laws they put in place ,and what punishment to impose for anyone breaking those laws. I had to laugh when i saw a Government minister speaking in Parliament yesterday about this matter. Its got nothing to do with the British Government what punishment another country`s courts pass . This woman knew the punishment for drug smuggling, yet still tried to enter the country with a massive amount of Drugs and got caught. No sympathy what so ever.

Malaysia is one of seven countries that has the death penalty for not believing in Allah.

You'd be okay with agnostic holiday makers being killed on arrival at the airport there I suppose, laws are laws after all.

Why?? :confused: In support of this coke dealing criminal? Its a fantastic country with plenty to offer. Just try to remember not to take class A drugs in when you go and you can avoid a death sentence quite easily

And if someone planted those drug on you, or you only did it because some rather nasty looking types from the local state sponsored tolerated drugs cartel threatened they'd kill your children/family... you'd happily accept the punishment?

Whether she is guilty or innocent, the death penalty is a massive overreaction.

People are regularly sentenced to death in far eastern countries for as little as possession of cannabis; it's ridiculous!!

And to prove the death penalty doesn't work, people are still using recreational drugs and even worse, they are producing them.

Beautiful part of the world, but I wouldn't go there if someone paid me. It's controlled by nut jobs!!

They should have the death sentence here for druggies, and chop the hands of thieves, shop lifters ect, there would be less crime, this country is far too soft, there is no deterrent.

They should have the death sentence here for druggies, and chop the hands of thieves, shop lifters ect, there would be less crime, this country is far too soft, there is no deterrent.

Don't they do that here now? Really?

I never knew, I'm off to Meadowhall right now to nick some stuff.

:roll:

Archived