British citizen faces death penalty in Indonesia.

equally if you do respect another countries laws, you dont break them especially when they have severe consequences, i an d many others have managed to visit these countries without a jot of trouble and greatly enjoyed the culture...........why i wonder........??......oh yes we respected the law of that country!! oh and who says its corrupt? no more than a drug smuggler having handwringers jumping to her defence when the evidence apparantly is overwhelming:roll: as for planting drugs what would be the point in this case? is it becuase they wanted a worldwide focus?? i think not....this is a greedy niave women who wanted to make some money simple as that and got caught...take the consequences if you cant do the time /punishment dont do the crime!

The 'point' of planting drugs is, as several have mentioned already, for the currupt police officers involved, to 'find' the planted drugs, with the expectation that the tourist involved will stump up the relatively small bribe requested, in preference to it going to court.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 22:50 ----------

None, they should not be illegal and thus there would be no need to smuggle them. They should be regulated and taxed in much the same way as alcohol.

The drugs in of themselves don't really, it's the lack of regulation so people have no idea what the strength is, and whatever it's adulterated with that do the killing. Both are a direct result of their illegality, which causes far more problems than it solves.

Agree 100%. It's nice to see that some people can see through the rubbish and propaganda put about by those who spread and maintain the nonsense known as the 'war on drugs'

The 'point' of planting drugs is, as several have mentioned already, for the currupt police officers involved, to 'find' the planted drugs, with the expectation that the tourist involved will stump up the relatively small bribe requested, in preference to it going to court.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 22:50 ----------

Agree 100%. It's nice to see that some people can see through the rubbish and propaganda put about by those who spread and maintain the nonsense known as the 'war on drugs'

the "point" is that they arnt going to plant 4.8k of high grade coke to ellict a small bribe now are they:roll::roll: really dave think it through:suspect:

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 21:55 ----------

You could always move to Indonesia if you wish ab.

Hey Stan old chap good to see you are still taking an interest:P oh belive me the plan is in place for removal to foreign shores once i have avoided enough tax, funnily enough idonesia and thailand are very high on the list, beautiful places beautiful culture and people:love:

Dont you think that Governments would have already legalised drugs and taxed them if they could . ? I hazard a guess that the reason they remain illegal (and rightly so in my opinion) is that drugs are so dangerous no Government could dare legalise tham as it would be political suicide.

Governments dont miss a trick when it comes to taxing everything they can ,so that speaks volumes about why they will never legalise drugs. And im pretty sure the vast majority of the British public never want to see drugs legalised.

There are places where drugs have been decriminalised- invariably most of the problems previously attributed to drugs diminish greatly, as does volume of drug use by the citizens.

Drugs are not 'dangerous'- illegal drugs are dangerous, due to the fact that they are distributed by criminals who cut them with toxins to bulk them up, and the poor buyers get unregulated produce of unknown potency.

Illegal drugs are dangerous for exactly the same reason illegal alcohol was in prohibition america: while legal alcohol is not exactly 'safe' in the full sense of the word, it is at least possible for users to consume it responsibly.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 22:58 ----------

the "point" is that they arnt going to plant 4.8k of high grade coke to ellict a small bribe now are they:roll::roll: really dave think it through:suspect:

No- that's why I never suggested the drugs in this case were planted by police :)

I was replying to a poster who asked why, in places like indonesia, corrupt police would plant drugs on tourists.

the "point" is that they arnt going to plant 4.8k of high grade coke to ellict a small bribe now are they:roll::roll: really dave think it through

or you could try thinking a little bit yourself...

The 'point' would be... drugs traffickers that don't actually want to run the risk of getting caught with the stuff themselves are planting the stuff in suitcases etc while they are out of sight of the respective owners (in baggage handling etc), so that those people become their unwitting mules.. blissfully unaware they're wandering towards customs with a bag full of coke, and a potential death penalty.

I take it if this happened to you you'd be happy to accept a bullet?

And don't tell me this doesn't happen, because it does...

funnily enough idonesia and thailand are very high on the list, beautiful places beautiful culture and people:love:

Do you know what they're like with people who can't abide by the rules of family friendly internet forums?

PS: You might get your fingers chopped off.

Dont you think that Governments would have already legalised drugs and taxed them if they could . ?

Many drugs are legal, alcohol for one. Funnily enough, it's users suffered identical issues as we see today with illegal drugs, until it was legalised and regulated.

Some governments have decriminalised illegal drugs, and the results have been promising.

I hazard a guess that the reason they remain illegal (and rightly so in my opinion) is that drugs are so dangerous no Government could dare legalise tham as it would be political suicide.

Or, the propaganda has worked so well, it'd be political suicide ;)

Governments dont miss a trick when it comes to taxing everything they can ,so that speaks volumes about why they will never legalise drugs. And im pretty sure the vast majority of the British public never want to see drugs legalised.

Funny how nearly every home secretary has changed their tune the second they're out of power, I wonder why?

The reason they're illegal has nothing whatsoever to do with harm, the recent episode with David Nutt is an example of that, and alcohol certainly wouldn't be legal if it were.

Hey Stan old chap good to see you are still taking an interest:P oh belive me the plan is in place for removal to foreign shores once i have avoided enough tax, funnily enough idonesia and thailand are very high on the list, beautiful places beautiful culture and people:love:

Plans are in place and you don't know where you're going?:hihi:

Make sure you have enough bribe money at the airport...just in case like. You may become the next topic of discussion on the forum. :D

:

or you could try thinking a little bit yourself...

The 'point' would be... drugs traffickers that don't actually want to run the risk of getting caught with the stuff themselves are planting the stuff in suitcases etc while they are out of sight of the respective owners (in baggage handling etc), so that those people become their unwitting mules.. blissfully unaware they're wandering towards customs with a bag full of coke, and a potential death penalty.

I take it if this happened to you you'd be happy to accept a bullet?

And don't tell me this doesn't happen, because it does...

yeah yeah and drug mules dont know there is 4.8k of coke or whatever!!.....wake up and smell the roses:loopy::loopy:

i have been going to the far east for 20 odd years,in many places some good and some bad had dealings with various authorities business wise never ever had a sniff of corruption!

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 22:18 ----------

keep taking the tablets stan;)

Will do ab.

wrong again i travel to the far east regularly and see it all the time .......still doesnt make it safe though!! was in shanghai not long ago and have a pic of a whole family of 5 on a scooter, kids on the handlebars etc etc at least the drivers are used to it unlike Sheffield!!!!!

Archived