What to do with old energy saving light bulbs?

Nope no hostility, but come on, who's gonna jump through hoops to recycle a bulb ? I'm not for one. I do recycle all our batteries though, at City rd petrol station, so i'm not adverse to it, but no way am i getting two buses for a bulb. Blame the stupid policy makers who make it so difficult, not me. :)

Mine go in the bin, as do full size fluorescents, I just stick the old one in new ones packaging then smash it up.

That's ok Boothybabe.

Make sure that you breathe in nice and deeply whilst you smash them:)

You're doing fine. Keep going.

The question of what to do with the bulbs is a good one though. They undoubtedly need recycling. It is up to the people who made them compulsory to ensure that proper disposal is easy.

They are not actually compulsory, there is always LED's asusming you can get past the capital cost. They are twice the price of CFL now, but you are probably never going to replace them inside of 20 years...

They are not actually compulsory, there is always LED's asusming you can get past the capital cost. They are twice the price of CFL now, but you are probably never going to replace them inside of 20 years...

Have you tried the LED bulbs? The ones that I have give off an unpleasant light.

Take your point about the compulsory bit though. Next step... how to recycle the LEDs:)

Have you tried the LED bulbs? The ones that I have give off an unpleasant light.

Take your point about the compulsory bit though. Next step... how to recycle the LEDs:)

I just smash the old ones up with a toffee hammer, holding my breath of course.

Depends which LED's you get - the new ones that have a globe with a single LED inside are very nice spectrally. The ones with loads of little LED's are a fair bit more hit and miss though :(

Recycling LED's though should be easy - they can be posted easily as it's a plastic surround so you should be able to mail them back to a freepost address for disposal. That's a bit of a non-starter though for the CFL's

Depends which LED's you get - the new ones that have a globe with a single LED inside are very nice spectrally. The ones with loads of little LED's are a fair bit more hit and miss though :(

I have some of the latter. They are pretty useless really.

I've kept them for spares because I can't abide the light that they give off. They cost quite a bit too:(

Nope no hostility, but come on, who's gonna jump through hoops to recycle a bulb ? I'm not for one. I do recycle all our batteries though, at City rd petrol station, so i'm not adverse to it, but no way am i getting two buses for a bulb. Blame the stupid policy makers who make it so difficult, not me. :)

going by 2 buses wouldn't help, they wont allow you in on foot.

Archived