Favourite sitcoms during 70's/80's

mark1971

On the Buses, Hi De Hi, Duty Free, Fresh Fields, Fawlty Towers... I watched them all.

And that bloke who was Blakey in On the Buses is still in Last of the Summer Wine as far as I know, crikey he must be getting on a bit cos he was an old geezer when he was in OTB and that was in the mid 70s, nearly 30 years ago.

About 1976 there was a sitcom 'I didn't know you cared'.A young man(called Carter, I think) was always daydreaming about 'having a pint with Freddy Trueman'. His blond girlfriend was called Linda Preston and old Uncle Mort was played brilliantly by Robin Bailey. A great show which I don't think has ever been shown as a repeat.

I used to love this, but you never see it on repeats. There were characters called Uncle Mort and Staveley I think as well. The mother/grandmother of the family was some sort of diy expert and did all their house repairs. I would love to see this again!

There was a great early 70s sitcom called "The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs" which starred David Jason as a bungling MI5 office boy. I thought it was brilliant but apparently no-one else liked it or remembers it.

Story of my life that is...

I used to love this, but you never see it on repeats. There were characters called Uncle Mort and Staveley I think as well. The mother/grandmother of the family was some sort of diy expert and did all their house repairs. I would love to see this again!

I think that was called something like "Only When I'm Dead !" :)

I vaguely remember this programme - you can get it on dvd from here:

http://www.erazamataz.co.uk/prodview.asp?sku=71818&GUID={7744E31B-979E-49CD-A890-6F46DD3089C8}&mc=RX00201&TRK=26

I also used to watch the Cedar Tree at lunchtimes but for the life of me I can't remember a thing about it now.

And that bloke who was Blakey in On the Buses is still in Last of the Summer Wine as far as I know, crikey he must be getting on a bit cos he was an old geezer when he was in OTB and that was in the mid 70s, nearly 30 years ago.

...And I don't think it would be unfair to suggest that he can only play one part, although to be honest he does play it rather well

About 1976 there was a sitcom 'I didn't know you cared'.A young man(called Carter, I think) was always daydreaming about 'having a pint with Freddy Trueman'. His blond girlfriend was called Linda Preston and old Uncle Mort was played brilliantly by Robin Bailey. A great show which I don't think has ever been shown as a repeat.

Would love to see this again, most of the filming was carried out around Sheffield, i remember the Myrtle Pub in Heeley, and the Snooker Hall on Cambridge St (all long gone being used for filming). One episode which i can vaguly remember was the works outing from Rabone Chesterman i think was on Pamona St,(near Eccleshall Rd) the road had a pub on every corner, and the coach kept breaking down outside each pub, and i dont think ever got to the seaside or wherever.

Will have to buy this DVD some parts of Sheffield, which disapeered over 30 years ago.

Archived