Favourite sitcoms during 70's/80's

mark1971

A lot of the sitcoms in the 70's were good. Some have aged better than others.

Fawlty Towers, Some Mothers, Porridge, The Good Life are all still good and miles better than a lot of sitcoms today.

Robin's Nest, George and Mildred, On The Buses were really funny at the time but don't seem very funny when watched today.

The theme music to Robin's Nest is still funky though.

:) steptoe & son-fawlty towers-porridge-it aint half hot mum-get some in-dads army-rising damp-fools & horses.i watch these now with my kids & we all laugh at em.in my humble opinion the only modern [ish] prog that comes close to these classics is bottom.

Does nobody remember Dear John,Just Good Friends.

The bloke who played "Dear John" died, I think he was called Ralph Bates, and I remember the woman who headed up the singles group always asked "were there any sexual problems?". The bloke who played the cool guy, Kirk St. Moritz, was also the bloke who dressed up as the Fonz in the Pepsi ads.

Just Good Friends was hugely popular in the 80's.

The classics are the ones they can still show today and people still laugh. As has been said, some have aged better than others, but the golden era of the "sitcom" seems to have finished in the late 80's, until it was resurrected by "Bottom", "The Office" and "I'm Alan Partridge".

Bottom is the natural successor to Steptoe and Son, two blokes stuck together in miserable surroundings who don't actually like each other!!

The bloke who played "Dear John" died, I think he was called Ralph Bates, and I remember the woman who headed up the singles group always asked "were there any sexual problems?". The bloke who played the cool guy, Kirk St. Moritz, was also the bloke who dressed up as the Fonz in the Pepsi ads.

Just Good Friends was hugely popular in the 80's.

The classics are the ones they can still show today and people still laugh. As has been said, some have aged better than others, but the golden era of the "sitcom" seems to have finished in the late 80's, until it was resurrected by "Bottom", "The Office" and "I'm Alan Partridge".

Bottom is the natural successor to Steptoe and Son, two blokes stuck together in miserable surroundings who don't actually like each other!!

I think they were both written by the man who wrote "Only Fools And Horses" John Sullivan?

Which sit com of the eighties was the one where there was the harrased father who always retreated to the greenhouse to drink wine with his neighbour?

"No Place Like Home" with William Gaunt...???? I enjoyed that as well!!!!

I never used to miss Whatever happended to the likely lads. Saw a repeat the other day, and it looked terribly dated.

I wonder if any of todays "comedies" will be remembered in a years time, leave alone standing the test of time for over 20 years?

Any thing with Lenoard Rossiter, Ronnie Barker or David Jason.

One of the funniest of recent times was Father Ted.

One comic I cannot stand is the Rickey Gervais.

The Office was brilliant, but as I have seen him since, I realise he was not acting.

He really is a self-satified smary git.

Archived