Pointless conspiracy theories..

OK. I'm not talking about the Moon landings, fluoride in water, HAARP, or things of that ilk, but of real low grade whacky ones...

Just had a conversation in the pub which took a slightly surreal turn. Someone was adamant that the Iraqi Supergun was a plant, and it was never actually made by Forgemasters etc... Apparently, it was made as a plant by Tata steel as a means of discrediting the UK steel industry and allowing them to take a world lead...

I'm, let's say, confused by the reasoning on this, as it doesn't even make sense on a whacky baccy sort of scale of reasoning. How do people come up with this sort of drivel, and why? I'm sure they have good well founded belief, but it seems that the level of quality conspiracy theories these days is just getting poorer and poorer.

OK. I'm not talking about the Moon landings, fluoride in water, HAARP, or things of that ilk, but of real low grade whacky ones...

Just had a conversation in the pub which took a slightly surreal turn. Someone was adamant that the Iraqi Supergun was a plant, and it was never actually made by Forgemasters etc... Apparently, it was made as a plant by Tata steel as a means of discrediting the UK steel industry and allowing them to take a world lead...

I'm, let's say, confused by the reasoning on this, as it doesn't even make sense on a whacky baccy sort of scale of reasoning. How do people come up with this sort of drivel, and why? I'm sure they have good well founded belief, but it seems that the level of quality conspiracy theories these days is just getting poorer and poorer.

Reptilian based conspiracies IMO are not worth even considering looking at apart from the occasional humour... but they're just as credible as God. (Sorry God worshipers)

If you strip a conspiracy to it's bare knuckles and conclude the "conspiracy" is feasible, given the massive resources available, not to mention the term "conspiracy theory", can work to your advantage, then it's possible.

A conspiracy is only as good as the amount of following you or your position commands by the people, even when the people haven't got a clue or are not privy to vital or condemning information. If you have evil or bad intentions it would be advisable to think "conspiracy theory" as your ally...you only have to poke that stick at someone and it will divert the preying minds/eyes.

Arguing for or against is futile within a sea of billions, just because of the words "conspiracy" and "theory".

My Bold.

Out of interest what is a "quality" CT?

What was his actual reasoning on it, why did he think this?

Also, in my experience and from observing others, "whacky baccy" can calm and bring an insightful, reasoning state of thinking to many people. Of course it can also play the other way though.

If I remember correctly only the barrel of the supergun was done at Forgemasters with other components built around the world. I seem to remember speculative reports that the gun was used but very little in the way of evidence to prove that it had.

Whilst one has to accept that some conspiracies do actually exist, the level of paranoia inherent in some people that accept many of these strange theories must be so much that I actually wonder how they can function.

The other day I learnt that some folk actually believe that the Sandy Hook shootings were a hoax, to enable the evil US Government take their precious guns off them. :loopy:

http://theweek.com/article/index/239012/the-disturbing-rise-of-sandy-hook-conspiracy-theories

What was his actual reasoning on it, why did he think this?.

I never did figure that out, apart from him saying "Well it was obvious the Indians were behind it right?" That's what struck me as being the oddside of it really... there was no "obvious" reason for anyone to even think it.

---------- Post added 23-01-2013 at 10:21 ----------

Whilst one has to accept that some conspiracies do actually exist, the level of paranoia inherent in some people that accept many of these strange theories must be so much that I actually wonder how they can function.

I do wonder that myself, or are they quite normal people and function well apart from when their particular issue pops up? I know a couple of well educated articulate people who you wouldn't think twice about but they are utterly convinced that we never made it to the Moon for example - ones a GP and the other is an accountant.

The other day I learnt that some folk actually believe that the Sandy Hook shootings were a hoax, to enable the evil US Government take their precious guns off them. :loopy:

http://theweek.com/article/index/239012/the-disturbing-rise-of-sandy-hook-conspiracy-theories

Yeah that's just crazy - but then again they probably think 9/11 was a plant on the same scale to enable the US Govt to do something it couldnt previously.

Archived