Advice which website building "kit" to buy

I forgot to add that Serif send you very good documentation - two user guides/manuals when you order WebPlus. Very clear and easy to follow.

HHounds - I had wondered why your site was flash-based. Yours is the only one I have come across in this style but as you say, if it works then fine. I haven't tried it on my Nokia mobile telephone or my iPad2 so maybe should take a look.

I've never used them and never advise people to setup their own websites if they don't know what they're doing.

It's not just the technical aspects that you need to figure out. Designing a good website goes deeper than that.

Looking at the Mr Site software, the Starter package may not be any easier for you to figure out than the Classic version. The Classic version just has a few extra features.

You will still probably build the site in the same way.

One major problem with these packages is you never own your website. Once you stop paying you lose everything.

It will also help on the seo side of things too.

SEO is still achievable, I have reached Page 2 on Google when you search for 'dog grooming in sheffield'. Not bad to say I knew absolutely nothing about websites etc 12 months ago.

OP - I agree with SpeedwayDan that the beginner simply has less features on it. If you want to manage your own website, and like mine you business is local and small so a huge competitive website isn't necessarily important but costs are, you need to be willing to learn, a lot. Or you would be better off paying someone to do it for you IMO.

I don't give in easily and want to learn about making a website. There's a lot I don't understand but I just need to get my head round it. Will have another go at building my own website and then if I am not satisfied I'll then consider getting someone to do it for me. However I do feel that would mean I've failed and I don't like that!

I personally found Mr Site almost impossible to use, the formatting of the text did not work.

I am now with 1&1, I find the software quite user friendly and the website I have created is not bad (I'm not a pro web developer).

I think with any website you need a decent knowledge of IT.

I have also heard Joomla is good, what do others think?

Joomla is great but it takes some getting used to. I would recommend it for sites where several people want to contribute.

Just make sure your site is portable. Can you pack it up and move it from one place to another? If not it could cause you problems later on.

Yes. The word is software not kit! Couldn't think of it at the time I was writing. I've used Mr Site Classic but found that too difficult and confusing. Has anyone used Mr Site beginner?

Why not save yourself all the hassle & time and give sandra a ring for advice?

From what I have seen & heard she is the best bit of human software or kit on this forum!

I am not affiliated in anyway to Indizine but I would trust her 100%.

Here's the number 01302 288708 or http://www.indizine.co.uk/contact-us

Wish you well :)

Archived