Advice which website building "kit" to buy

Bass Man has a good point. Of course we are all different but I have found that creating two small websites for friends is very, very time consuming. I am retired so have plenty of spare time. Neither of them need to be top notch as one is for a service and the other a hobby site but I have found it hard going and in some ways wish I'd never started them (it was just a hobby).

As has been pointed out, the search engine optimization is the tricky bit. No good having a website if it is languishing at the bottom of the rankings. Bearing this in mind Mr Site and those sort of site builders might not be very useful; you could be wasting your time with them. Start afresh with your own domain name.This is important to get you noticed. If you don't want to spend money on the project, the minimum would be about £10 for a domain name for two years then hosting about £3 per month. If you use the free WordPress there would be nothing else to pay.

It's understandable that you are keen to try website creation but unless you have plenty of time to learn (and patience), as Bass Man says, it might be worth considering using a designer. You will still need to be heavily involved in it, providing photographs and narrative. That in itself is very time consuming and I am finding that my friends, who are working like you don't have a lot of space in their lives for this.

SEO is still achievable, I have reached Page 2 on Google when you search for 'dog grooming in sheffield'. Not bad to say I knew absolutely nothing about websites etc 12 months ago.

OP - I agree with SpeedwayDan that the beginner simply has less features on it. If you want to manage your own website, and like mine you business is local and small so a huge competitive website isn't necessarily important but costs are, you need to be willing to learn, a lot. Or you would be better off paying someone to do it for you IMO.

Page 2 won't do a lot for your ctr. It's a low competition keyword with a low amount of searches. I'm not taking on new clients at the moment but I'd have you top 3 within weeks for 'dog grooming Sheffield'. Infact I can see 5 things you could change right now to rank higher.

By the way while we're on the subject... If anyone could use a free seo report / guide (15 ways to rank higher in Google for sme's) I'll be happy to send. I've written this for small Business owners who maybe have a bit of time but don't have the money to pay a professional. PM me.

SEO = Search Engine Opomisation, is that correct?

My own website does appear generally on the first page of google, even when I use someone else's computer. I have the word "fitness training" and other key words repeating themselves within the website.

Again, I don't truely understand how google works, but if you were offering a dog walking service (for example), then the words "Dog Walking" and "Sheffield" would need to be within the website over and over again, but not to the point where its in a stupid amount of times

Hi, I designed my own website using moonfruit. They have some nice templates and it's pretty easy to get a website up and running in a few hours. I already had a domain name so added that to the site, rather than using a moonfruit address. You can do either, it's up to you. The basic moonfruit websites are free so might be worth a try.

SEO = Search Engine Opomisation, is that correct?

My own website does appear generally on the first page of google, even when I use someone else's computer. I have the word "fitness training" and other key words repeating themselves within the website.

Again, I don't truely understand how google works, but if you were offering a dog walking service (for example), then the words "Dog Walking" and "Sheffield" would need to be within the website over and over again, but not to the point where its in a stupid amount of times

Google has various ranking criteria on page and off page (quality of backlinks, social bookmarks etc). Content keywords is a very small part of the equation. A ratio of 1/100 is a good benchmark. So 5 keywords for every 500 word article.

Sheffield fitness training is ranked 1 in google. But then again you have sheffield fitness training in your url. You also have a relevant title tag and of lesser importance, meta description.

If you're already getting conversion from this keyword, great. If not keyword research is required. From this you might decide 'personal training sheffield' or 'personal trainer Sheffield' etc. will convert better. Depends on the people looking for fitness classes and what they type in search engines at the end of the day:)

Hi there,

Moonfruit.com is brilliant I have used this three times. I designed one for a dance teacher, a jazz singer and a builder. All three totally different. lots of options and well worth the money. plus you can change anything on them straight away and if you get stuck the help team are really clear about what you need to do.

get would definately recommend.

cheers Harle

Archived