Metal Thieves In Sheffield - New Tactics

the new scrap metal regulations were meant to ensure cash for scrap went into bank accounts. however this does not apply to "tinkers" who can still be paid in cash.

beats the object if you ask me.

didn't know that......may explain how many of us are still being victimised by these "********

the new scrap metal regulations were meant to ensure cash for scrap went into bank accounts. however this does not apply to "tinkers" who can still be paid in cash.

I heard of one scrapyard that offered a cheque cashing service, they paid the punter by cheque and then cashed it for him, less 10% commission.

If the person has no fixed abode and therefore no bank account, they can still be paid cash. Totally defeats the purpose...

I googled it and it said that the itinerant traders should still be registered with the council and keep paper records for 2 years.....

(mind you when the police stopped them on our road last year they had 'paperwork' in spite of us watching them trawl through every yard on the road, paperwork is easy to forge with a computer I imagine)

We must be completely mad in this country. Ban cash sales to curb theft but exempt the barstools who do all the thieiving from the rule.

Bonkers :loopy:

You know the old saying of 'If it's not nailed down....' that really is not the case anymore sadly.

We were walking through Graves park the other day & noticed that 'Memorial' trees all down one path have had the plaques removed....some of the stone plinthes had been smashed to get them off.

Also a collegue of mine had the lead fasching from her windows removed one evening by the thieving so & so's. They wore high vis jackets & no-one questioned them.

Maybe the general public need to get brave & question any people doing activity like this or phone the police asap.....

As it seems all you need to do to steal metal for scrap is look like a workman....

We must be completely mad in this country. Ban cash sales to curb theft but exempt the barstools who do all the thieiving from the rule.

Bonkers :loopy:

Fantastic isn't it. Create a rule to reduce thieving, exempt the thieves, but make to rest of us comply.

We used to top up our petty cash tin from our scrap metal skip, but now we have to have the money credited into our account and then go to the bank for cash.

Meanwhile the queue of suspicious pick-ups on Stevenson Road remains the same.

I did notice that all these pick-ups have an excellent turning circle when a police van appeared a few days ago.

Archived