Electrician or no?

Hey,

My girlfriend broke the two way socket on the bedroom wall, smashed it to pieces. god knows how she's done it.:hihi:

It's one of those thicker ,boxier two way sockets where you keep the wiring hidden.

The wiring is not broken. I know how to fix it, but I don't want to a) switch off the wrong power supply and get hurt, how would you test this? b) cause an electrical fire and invalidate her house insurance.

Should I get a sparky in? or do the job myself? any ideas?

thanks.

Hey,

My girlfriend broke the two way socket on the bedroom wall, smashed it to pieces. god knows how she's done it.:hihi:

It's one of those thicker ,boxier two way sockets where you keep the wiring hidden.

The wiring is not broken. I know how to fix it, but I don't want to a) switch off the wrong power supply and get hurt, how would you test this?

Using a multimeter, if you don't know how then get someone who does.

b) cause an electrical fire and invalidate her house insurance.

Then get a sparky to do it:hihi:

Should I get a sparky in? or do the job myself? any ideas?

thanks.

If you have any doubts get an electrician, you know it makes sense.

I'd venture that if you don;t know how to isolate and test the circuit is dead then you perhaps should get a sparky in. You could just switch the entire house off at the incoming isolator but it's inconvenient if the lights go out when working on a socket.

do it in daylight and turn all power off at your fuse board

Or turn a light on and see which breaker switches it off. Then turn all the others off leaving the lights on.

More than likely you should be able to tell from the ratings on the fuses/breakers which are the ring mains but if in doubt get an electrician.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived