Are You Addicted To Gambling? Own Up!

Rochdale is one of the countries most deprived towns but residents of the town gambled £72million on high stakes betting machines last year. These machines have a jackpot of up to £500.

£72million is the equivalent of £340 for every man, woman and child in the town.

Where the hell do these people get their money from to gamble this sort of cash for every man, woman & child ???

Like who? Why would you want to protect people from their own choices?

I agree with you, but to play devil's advocate, gambling can be a destructive force on a person's life. It can lead to a lot of negative effects upon individuals and society.

last year [...] the equivalent of £340 for every man, woman and child in the town.

Where the hell do these people get their money from [...] ???

That's the equivalent of £6.54 a week. If they're poor then it's money better spent somewhere else, obviously, but it's not an unbelievable figure.

This is interesting. I don't know if it is where you got your information from.

High-stakes gambling machines 'suck money from poorest communities'

I like the 2p machines at the seaside.

They are pretty ace, pity they stopped the 1p machines - guess it cost too much to run.

That's the equivalent of £6.54 a week. If they're poor then it's money better spent somewhere else, obviously, but it's not an unbelievable figure.

Yea but, not every man woman and child are gambling, especially the children.

So some people will really be blowing everything they have on gambling.

I go to the bookies regularly. Few quid on the horses, maybe the fixed odds. Some people cannot leave the fruit machines alone. I see young women leave their babies outside in pushchair, rush in and put £20 in a machine. Then another. Its sad because when they are playing the machine, it takes priority over the baby. I saw 4 chinese chaps the other day put £1000 quid in. They got a voucher for £1300 for their efforts. The cashier hadn't enough cash in the till to pay them. I used to enjoy the 1d machines in the arcades in Rhyl.

Archived