Parcel force national hub

Yesterday I posted a large parcel addressed to a company in East London (uk) 70 miles away.

I'm having it tracked.

11am collected from local PO.

4pm in Medway just over the river from it's destination.

8am today in the National Hub, which I have discovered from Wikipaeda is in COVENTRY.

This a total round trip from me to the company of 288 miles.

Is this economic?

A letter posted in our PO to an address 2miles away travels 25 miles to be sorted and delivered.

It'd be quicker to walk!

But surely there''s sufficient post going from Kent to East London/Essex to have depot there?

They will have a depot there. The depots are not the hub though.

In brief, parcel gets collected by driver, taken to depot, loaded onto an artic which drives to the hub. Parcel gets unloaded onto a very big very expensive whirlygig which sorts all the parcels and puts them on the correct artic/plane. Artic then drives back to the depot full of parcels destined for that area which get loaded onto vans and delivered.

It's the most efficient way of doing it, as to why Coventry, look at a map and have a guess where you would site a hub for a nationwide parcels business.

Archived