Johnny Kidd and the Pirates

Dreb48

sorry I missed that gig. did see them at the black cat club on city rd about 62 and then at city hall as warm up for B.Bumble and the Stingers--there were 80 of us there.

Johnny had a great guitarist (Green) who later went on to play for Gerry and the Pacemakers if I am not mistaken-------first time I had seen a Gibson SG---fantastic player with great sound

bought a cd of theirs last year

I saw them circa 1964 at I think Rawmarsh Baths , brilliant. Not long after,

Johnny Kidd was killed in a traffic accident on the way to a gig near Blackpool.

Mick Green, a brilliant guitarist, died about 2 years ago, inspirational to many subsequent guitarists, including the legionary Wilko Johnson, who incidently is performing some of last gigs due to a terminal illness,which will end this other brilliant showman's career.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

I remember the gig at Nether Edge Hall. I was there.

It was arranged by a group from High Storrs school - I think the scouts (even tho' in retrospect this sounds unlikely). I assume that the booking was made before Johnny Kidd had a hit with I'll Never Get Over You.

It must have been around 1964, maybe at the end of the summer term? I was at High Storrs, and it would have been probably in my Lower VI year. But I'd be persuaded by someone with a better memory that it was a year later at the end of the Easter term.

I used to love that place, some of the girls that used to go there:love:

Can't remember seeing j kidd but I did see clapton when he was with the blues breakers:thumbsup:

Yes, I saw Clapton and I also remember the Swinging Blue Jeans. They booked some cracking bands on a Saturday night in those days. Agree about the girls. It was a magical era!

Hi EDave51. Think youre not far off with the year though I thought it was earlier.

In the era when bands were playing church halls and youth clubs were organising stuff like this, I would imagine the Scouts could quite easily have arranged it

There seemed to be so much live music back then. There were bands from all over the north playing church halls. There was great stuff at the Esquire and Mojo and major acts playing the City Hall and the Gaumont