Johnny Kidd and the Pirates

Dreb48

sorry I missed that gig. did see them at the black cat club on city rd about 62 and then at city hall as warm up for B.Bumble and the Stingers--there were 80 of us there.

Johnny had a great guitarist (Green) who later went on to play for Gerry and the Pacemakers if I am not mistaken-------first time I had seen a Gibson SG---fantastic player with great sound

bought a cd of theirs last year

The late Mike Green (born in Matlock) went to 'The Dakotas' Billy J. Kramer's backing group.

Recently heard a version of Shaking All Over by Terry Dene, anybody remember him? He along with Tommy Steele were our first Rock 'n' Roll singers Terry some how got out of his conscription duties just as Elvis was accepting his and that basically ended his career. Enough of the bio, my point is it was very good, no idea when it was cut, but would swear that Mike Green was playing guitar on it.

Edited by TORONTONY

Yes liked Terry Dene and the Dene Aces Terry is now a born again Christian but is still singing might be Jow Merretti playing lead guitar my favourite lead guitar from them times was Bernie ( Strawberry ) Watson that started with Lord Sutch he disappeared from the scene

Yes. Mick Green had a very distinctive style and was credited as being an influence by lots of later guitar heroes.

Think it was not long after that Nether Edge Hall became Turn Ups

Yes Dreb48, along with Mick Green and 'having distinctive style' at the time, so did Jerry Wilcox (The Fentones) and Vick Flick (John Barry Seven)- the guitarist from the original 'James Bond' theme-, They were perhaps under the 'Shadow' of Hank Marvin who along with Bert Weedon were more prominent at the time and of course the likes of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page would get their respect later into the sixties.

---------- Post added 11-01-2016 at 18:57 ----------

Yes liked Terry Dene and the Dene Aces Terry is now a born again Christian but is still singing might be Jow Merretti playing lead guitar my favourite lead guitar from them times was Bernie ( Strawberry ) Watson that started with Lord Sutch he disappeared from the scene

Yes, Joe Moretti- a Glaswegian- was the lead guitarist on the original (Johnny Kidd's) "Shakin All Over'.

Yes Dreb48, along with Mick Green and 'having distinctive style' at the time, so did Jerry Wilcox (The Fentones) and Vick Flick (John Barry Seven)- the guitarist from the original 'James Bond' theme-, They were perhaps under the 'Shadow' of Hank Marvin who along with Bert Weedon were more prominent at the time and of course the likes of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page would get their respect later into the sixties.

---------- Post added 11-01-2016 at 18:57 ----------

Yes, Joe Moretti- a Glaswegian- was the lead guitarist on the original (Johnny Kidd's) "Shakin All Over'.

Eureka, that is why I got confused, I could tell the guitarist was the same on Terry Dene's version as Johnny Kidd's, assumed ,wrongly that it was Mike Green.

Wow, you guys really know your stuff. There's names here I'd completely forgotten or didn't know in the first place.

I think we were the generation who went from wanting to be engine drivers to lead guitarists before we realised it had happened.

For me, it all started with the Shads. Still can't hear 'Apache' without getting a lump in my throat. I bought everything they did and became obsessed with instrumental groups.

Spotniks, Tornadoes, John Barry 7, Ventures and later Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers, Surfaris. Quite a long list really of classic and, sometimes, not so classic, mainly guitar based sounds.

I always found it hard to make Bert Weedon a guitar hero but the look of a moody Jet Harris always appealed to me. Unfortunately I tried and tried, had several guitars but am still, despite Berts ' Play in a Day', a miserable and frustrated plucker. Can still do a passable Shadows walk though in front of the mirror.

Edited by Dreb48

Wow, you guys really know your stuff. There's names here I'd completely forgotten or didn't know in the first place.

I think we were the generation who went from wanting to be engine drivers to lead guitarists before we realised it had happened.

For me, it all started with the Shads. Still can't hear 'Apache' without getting a lump in my throat. I bought everything they did and became obsessed with instrumental groups.

Spotniks, Tornadoes, John Barry 7, Ventures and later Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers, Surfaris. Quite a long list really of classic and, sometimes, not so classic, mainly guitar based sounds.

I always found it hard to make Bert Weedon a guitar hero but the look of a moody Jet Harris always appealed to me. Unfortunately I tried and tried, had several guitars but am still, despite Berts ' Play in a Day', a miserable and frustrated plucker. Can still do a passable Shadows walk though in front of the mirror.

What? No Duane Eddy, Link Wray, Champs or Johnny and the Hurricanes mentioned, dearie me ;)

Sorry mate. No excuse for missing out Duane Eddy or Johnny and the Hurricanes. I can remember the Champs and Link Wray having a couple of hits but I don't think they were that well known over here at that time.

Obviously all this stuff was pre-Beatles who virtually killed my obsession with instrumentals overnight.