Is The Miners Strike Still Vivid In Your Mind?

Sadly very few miners got to enjoy retirement because of mining related diseases or early death; he was in both groups. The younger miners were lucky that many of mines closed and had the opportunity to find an alternative careers doing something with fewer health risks.

Sorry to hear about your dad.For the others the dark shadow cast by Mr Mcgregor and friends seems to brought a silver lining.

and like I said -stop taking the man juice,

the Birk Hill Estate and Castle Hill (ie the ones I`m talking about) were and still are NEDDC.

that`s before we get to Killamarsh and Mastin Moor, the pay off enabled the miners to buy them under RTB

try and remember the world is bigger than your front room.

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 09:11 ----------

she was respected enough at the time to be voted in thrice

The South of England and constituencies such as Hallam in the North loved her but when she pushed it too far (Poll Tax) her Cabinet who'd previously lacked backbone got shut. As she was leaving number 10 what did she do ? cried from self pity, tough when it came to ruining other peoples lives, regions and industries, but pathetic when it affected herself. One only has to look at her offspring Mark and the narcissistic individualist he became to get the measure of the woman.

that makes no sense whatsoever

Straight over your head that one

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 10:53 ----------

Damn, can never work out these quotation thingys:D

I wasn't over the moon with Thatcher, she lost me a good job when she caused Whitbreads to shut down due to the monopolies commission, but the miners did cause the fall of the previous democratically elected conservative government and that wasn't on. The way to do it should have been through the ballot box

[Are you a psephologist?The term popular vote is a measure of how many people voted not seats won and a simple majority was never gained,as your figures confirm.Why present data which completely undermines your chosen standpoint?Are you familiar with the work of Butler and Stokes,Crosby and Nash,Young and Stills?

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I hope your dad is enjoying his retirement and the benefits of home ownership.

---------- Post added 28-01-2013 at 09:03 ----------

Are you a psephologist?The term popular vote is a measure of how many people voted not seats won and a simple majority was never gained,as your figures confirm?

you were trying to make out that the Thatcher governments lacked a mandate when in act they had a better and more consistent mandate over time, with a loyal vote over four elections, than anybody else has ever managed, by an absolute country mile.

I would even argue that the most ringing endorsement for Thatcher was the 1992 election in which the Tories got more votes than at any other time, when she wasn't even standing for office. Her previous governments had shifted the goalposts so much, the opposition had been obliterated. A monkey could have stood for Tory PM in the 1992 election, and still won.

oh wait. That's exactly what happened.

you were trying to make out that the Thatcher governments lacked a mandate when in act they had a better and more consistent mandate over time, with a loyal vote over four elections, than anybody else has ever managed, by an absolute country mile.

I would even argue that the most ringing endorsement for Thatcher was the 1992 election in which the Tories got more votes than at any other time, when she wasn't even standing for office. Her previous governments had shifted the goalposts so much, the opposition had been obliterated. A monkey could have stood for Tory PM in the 1992 election, and still won.

oh wait. That's exactly what happened.

No,no,no said Mrs T when someone tried to misrepresent her words.How then do you know what I was attempting.Ever considered practising sleep therapy?

---------- Post added 29-01-2013 at 19:04 ----------

[Are you a psephologist?The term popular vote is a measure of how many people voted not seats won and a simple majority was never gained,as your figures confirm.Why present data which completely undermines your chosen standpoint?Are you familiar with the work of Butler and Stokes,Crosby and Nash,Young and Stills?

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Ever had Deja Vue-what a carry on,in our house,waiting for the Marrakesh Express?

anybody who says that a British PM needs a majority of votes i.e. 50% + 1 in order to be considered legitimately elected is just thick as two short planks and no Labour leader has ever done it. Even some American presidents never got more than 50% in what is much more of a two horse race. British Prime Ministers have no chance and it only ever happened once since 1918.

Archived