Is The Miners Strike Still Vivid In Your Mind?

anybody who says that a British PM needs a majority of votes i.e. 50% + 1 in order to be considered legitimately elected is just thick as two short planks and no Labour leader has ever done it. Even some American presidents never got more than 50% in what is much more of a two horse race. British Prime Ministers have no chance and it only ever happened once since 1918.

I totally concur;in a three party system a simple majority is a big ask,so whenever a PM gets legitimate support it still leaves over 50% opposed to this outcome.However in the USA a President like JFK(1960) can win a majority in the EC despite a minority popular vote.

Personally speaking, when the wicked old witch finally croaks I shall indulge in a modest libation by way of a celebration.

Wonder where she would be buried? May be worth taking up dancing lessons ;-)

If put to the vote incineration could be the optimum method.

Personally speaking, when the wicked old witch finally croaks I shall indulge in a modest libation by way of a celebration.

Wonder where she would be buried? May be worth taking up dancing lessons ;-)

would you talk about a family relative like that?

in the USA a President like JFK(1960) can win a majority in the EC despite a minority popular vote.

JFK polled more votes than Nixon. The only time since 1945 a presidential candidate has won the popular vote but lost the college and the election with it was Gore in 2000. In fact winning the popular vote but losing the election has happened more often in recent years in the UK than the USA. Labour got their highest vote ever in the 1951 election but piling up huge majorities in safe seats like Sheffield Park and Ebbw Vale didn't do them any good and they lost. The Conservatives also got 200,000 more votes than Labour in February 1974, however they still lost the election.

JFK polled more votes than Nixon. The only time since 1945 a presidential candidate has won the popular vote but lost the college and the election with it was Gore in 2000. In fact winning the popular vote but losing the election has happened more often in recent years in the UK than the USA. Labour got their highest vote ever in the 1951 election but piling up huge majorities in safe seats like Sheffield Park and Ebbw Vale didn't do them any good and they lost. The Conservatives also got 200,000 more votes than Labour in February 1974, however they still lost the election.

Excellent research.How does democracy fare in post-Marxist Phillipines,and did you ever get to buy any of Imelda Marx's shoes?

Archived