Is The Miners Strike Still Vivid In Your Mind?

Another poor mis informed individual. Go to Specsavers, open eyes and think "What do the government want me to believe ?"

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 00:38 ----------

The mines would have had to change, but not the mass destruction Maggie imposed. Maggie also said Banking, Insurance and retail was the future.

How wrong could she have been.............

They did change, the unproductive ones closed under both Labour and the Conservatives and the productive ones continued to produce coal and 30years on some still do.

The decline of the British coal industry started after the First World War. But was accelerated after the Second World War, and in particular, after the miners strike of 1984.

Between 1923 and 1945, employment in the industry fell from 1.2 to 0.8 million, and the British share of the world coal market dropped from 59% to 37%. In part, this can be explained by increased competition, not only from other countries producing coal but also from cheaper substitute fuels. Before 1914 demand for coal was rising at an annual rate of 4%; after the war British exports of coal plummeted and domestic demand remained stagnant

coughs, it was your generation that voted for her, but Ii find your language about another human being offensive and have reported you accordingly

The generation you mention actually did not vote for her; the opposition vote was split and Thatcher rarely exceeded 40 pc of the popular vote.I can see no reason to report the other poster and can predict no action will ensue.Your post,not you,seems a little pompous.

The generation you mention actually did not vote for her; the opposition vote was split and Thatcher rarely exceeded 40 pc of the popular vote.I can see no reason to report the other poster and can predict no action will ensue.Your post,not you,seems a little pompous.

she wasnt voted in the 70`s then? I find the use of the phrase "a waste ....." offensive and you have the cheek to call me pompous?

classic

she wasnt voted in the 70`s then? I find the use of the phrase "a waste ....." offensive and you have the cheek to call me pompous?

classic

She won in 79,83 and 87 but never gained a large share of the vote.If you read the post I said your comment was pompous not you.Please stick to the facts!:hihi:

You tell it 'how it is' my friend. Some of us have never had the wool pulled over our eyes.......................maybe one day we will 'get thru' to the majority...........but I wont hold my breath. :)

Seconded, Erebus has hit the nail on the head the working man has been shafted by both major political parties who both sing from the same Hymn book.

classic

just cos YOU find something offensive doesnt mean its against forum rules, just means youre a lightweight

have a good day ;)

Archived